Sign in to follow this  
peter01

FE2 FMs, AI, Guns

I think FE2 is quite an improvement on FE1 in terms of FM and Guns. TK has done a great job here.

The guns are less effective (less cannon like), and just importantly, more balanced between player guns and AI guns. This was/is a problem with FE Gold - the AI guns were too effective compared to the player. One of my major gripes with latest patch for FE1. It is now fixed.

The AI hasn't changed - thank god. It is complex enough as it is ....

The Flight Model has changed, and it is quite a significant improvement. In fact the problems evident to me with the previous flight model, ones that I have been struggling with for at least 1 and 1/2 years, are fixed. The change isn't to individual FMs (the data inis), but roll has been slowed down (via a simple code parameter I expect). The reason TK never slowed the roll down before was because of the associated problems that I experienced and drove me nuts at times when slowing the roll for planes: stiffness/tightness,instability and sensitivity. It took me an awful lot of time to figure out how to get around that - with I think some quite lateral solutions too!

All that is unneccesary now, TK has solved this by smoothing/lessening the strength of forces acting on the pitch (again in the code). So the planes roll slower, and are less tight on the pitch. Exactly what I have been trying to do.

What does this mean in terms of addon FE1 planes for FE2:

It is far easier doing better WW1 FMs, especially with the slower roll.

The FMs feel better, fly better, they were much toooo sensitive before.

The FMs I did previously, or doing now, for FE1 are different in FE2 with even slower roll (which is great I think), and looser pitch (which I like), to how they are in FE1. IT is not exactly how I would do them for this version - I would increase the zinginess/feedback, if that makes sense. But you can certainly use my FMs for FE2, and the AI are unchanged from FE1. There are some probs of course - eg I use special guns for two seaters, and you would need to be change that in the data inis, and you would need to add the ground crash effects to see them as per TKs planes (simply add a couple of lines to data ini). Loadouts will be a problem, eg, Le Prieurs, until the weapondata ini is updated.

I doubt I'll be doing/uploading special FMs for FE2, or much else with FE2, simply because I think the lot I did/doing are still pretty good for FE2, and TK being TK, will probably improve things in the next Expansion Pack (for FE2 no doubt).

Edited by peter01