Sign in to follow this  
Streakfalcon

Separate installs with 2nd gen?

I know how to create copies of the SF2E exe and rename them thus creating different mod folders under My Documents\User\Saved Games etc. and them be able to to run different mods, but they all operate from the core install under program files\thirdwire\strikefighters2 and are therefore all at the same patch level . So if I wanted to keep my NF4+ install intact using the June patch, is it possible to have a separate install I could patch to Feb10 level and enjoy the new features? Would this new install also try to use the same mod folder structure?

I know how to create copies of the SF2E exe and rename them thus creating different mod folders under My Documents\User\Saved Games etc. and them be able to to run different mods, but they all operate from the core install under program files\thirdwire\strikefighters2 and are therefore all at the same patch level . So if I wanted to keep my NF4+ install intact using the June patch, is it possible to have a separate install I could patch to Feb10 level and enjoy the new features? Would this new install also try to use the same mod folder structure?

Yes it is possible. Just direct the installer of your SF2E standalone to a different directory like Like progam files\thirdwire\NF4+. Patch it up to June (make sure its directed to the right directory).

You can rename the exe so that it creates a separate mod folder.

Remember to take note of the install directory of your installers and patch. Don't want a future patch for your Strike Fighters 2 default install to mess up your NF4+.

Edited by jomni

Yep that's the trick. FYI, just install the game again to a different location and then rename the exe. before you run it. Then you will have that mod folder in saved games but it works with the new core install patch level. Thanks