Sign in to follow this  
PadFoot

GUNSHIP! in 2010

When this game came out in 2000, I missed it.  It was my lack of interest in helicopter simulation which made me overlooked.  In the last 10 years, good simulation games getting less and less.  I trust most hard-core gamers will define "good simulation" being nuts & bolts on every keystrokes on the keyboard, buttons on the stick and perhaps both combined.  As for me, being a slightly hard-core gamers only, my expectations are not as vigorous as such, but I would definitely say "No" to arcade style flight simulation games as they feel more like action games in the air to me.

I must admit that I am obsessed with tech-looking cockpit and MFD really gives me a hard-on!  Specially the optical targeting system in the Apache, Ka-52 the Black Shark and other modern jet fighters.  But then I don't quite like too advanced technologies like the JDAM which requires no skills in targeting them, or any other GPS kind of weapon systems.  I believe GUNSHIP! is just about right.

The other thing which really impresses me is that the graphics, though not top notch, still looks very good specially the clouds.  The trees also looks good.  And the aircraft itself still very presentable.

Other features are the Pre-plan and the Debrief screen which I haven't seen something as good in recent years.

Glad this simulation stands the time!! 

Gunship1680-1050.jpg

this game has been overlooked back then. for me, it had potential. Graphics were great and could run smoothly on any pc (small maps i guess). It was surely fun. i liked also the variety of chopers available. criticism often was about its controls layout. It is still installed in my idle now XP setup. Anytime i wanted to take a taste of virtual apache. Hope ED wont take long before they launch a DCS apache ....

this game has been overlooked back then. for me, it had potential. Graphics were great and could run smoothly on any pc (small maps i guess). It was surely fun. i liked also the variety of chopers available. criticism often was about its controls layout. It is still installed in my idle now XP setup. Anytime i wanted to take a taste of virtual apache. Hope ED wont take long before they launch a DCS apache ....

(the clouds are just a sky bitmap wraping the virtual space dom. Like Polak's horizon sky mod for SF1 if you used that)

Edited by squid

Even so, the sky looks natural.

Yes, this one is good, bought it for $14.95, I still think it worths the money.

I remember playing the original gunship on my Amiga many years ago. It was one of my favourite games, along with Falcon and M1 tank platoon! cool.gif