Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Jasta Colors - what did they use, were did they get them?

In a magazine, I read that the Jastas organised their Staffel colors sometimes on dubious ways.

While they got the standard camouflage colors from the army supply, it was said that the Staffel

marking colors were non-standard colors, and often of very varying quality.

Does anyone know passages from books, or other sources, for this field of research?

Richthofen sent his Werkmeister Holzapfel out on errands in rear areas to find red paint. For these flights he had a blank authorization form signed by Richthofen because his search was as random as the trail he followed--who knew where he would find what was required? Thus red was procured from a variety of sources, including captured Allied red dope, and the exact color and shade of red varied widely. Regarding the Dr.I, "the triplane used a linseed oil protective varnish finish, [and] ordinary oil paint, suitably thinned, could be used without causing any interaction with the cellulose dope." (A. Imrie, The Fokker Triplane, 1992, p. 81.)

Hmm - looks like I have to give up my idea, that there were pre-RLM colours

already produced and delivered for these purposes.

grin.gif It appears that on a battle Field that They FIND things including Paint Colors.cool.gif