Sign in to follow this  
sinbad

Setting LOD Distances

Is there a guideline for setting LOD distances for models?

I know there is a minimum object distance beyond which a model cannot be seen at all. I am asking about setting LOD 1 , LOD 2, LOD3.

Presumably FX on FR and visible detail operate, but -

Some models operate with only one LOD set at max visible distance (or beyond). Other models operate with five LODs and others with three.

I can get the model to run just by tinkering with the settings, but it would be nice to know what I am doing and why.

It's purely your decision on which model to use at what distance. It's very dependent on your resolution, screen size, individual LOD details and frame rate.

I will tell you that polycount has become less of an issue as time has passed since the TW series of sims first began.

FC

The different LODs are good for static aircraft since SF2 I find. In situations with many(10 or more) aircraft in view at once, frame rates can take a massive hit if they are 15k+ poly each and no lesser LODs. Would be the same in the air with 10-20 aircraft in view at once.