Sign in to follow this  
GregSM

"Error at position 3822......" AHH!

Hi,

Damn – had a good career going but can't continue due to “error at position 3822, line 1 of ViewUI.XML”. CFS III.exe crashes while the mission is loading.

I know I can correct this by resetting CFS III files to default, but......And I've tried resetting views to no avail.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Greg

There should be several backup copies of the ViewUi.xml file in several places on your computer. Look first in your OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields folder. It can also be found in your OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\default folder and your OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\CampaignData\Default folder.

Finally, another copy can be found in your C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAME\ApplicationData\Microsoft\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields folder if you are using XP; or in your C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields folder if you are using Vista or Win7.

I don't know why CFS3 stores so many copies in different places, but there you go.

Yep, as Herr Prop-Wasche said. The backups have the ending "Backup" at the end of the file.

So you have to erase the failing one, and then change the name of the backup file into the normal file name.

Before that, you should copy it, so you have a backup again, for later failures.

Thanks so much, guys! Overwriting the corrupted file with one from another folder did the trick.

Oddly, perhaps, on my computer the various file sizes are all slightly different, and there are no duplicates marked “backup”. I've made my own backup of the working file.

Now to be extra cautious not to kill the guy too promptly upon his miraculous return to duty......

Glad you are flying again, Greg. I've been working on a program that will automatically backup all of your needed setup files to another location on your computer for easy access if you have to reinstall OFF or something gets corrupted. All I have to do is write a readme file for it and send it to a few people for testing and it should be ready. It's been delayed because I started playing around with some of the FM files and that has taken a lot of my time because it is much more complicated.

Hi Herr Prop-Wasche,

Thank you. Such a program would be a useful utility. I'll be looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Greg

Thank you. Such a program would be a useful utility. I'll be looking forward to it.

I second that post...