Sign in to follow this  
pcpilot

Virginia passes first seatrials!

Isnt this the new Seawolf class of boat? What does PCU stand for? Obviously something to do with an un-commissioned ship. With the Ticonderoga being decommed, its good to see something coming in to replace it. Read the description of some of its capabilities, pretty interesting. Sort of a multi-tasking vessal thats just the ticket for present day military applications. I've been hearing news latley though that the US sub fleet is having serious readiness problems. The story for the Virginia can be found HERE!

1st pic

2nd pic

3rd pic

Stands for Pre Commioning Unit.

I live about a 1/2 mile from Electric Boat. Alot of my buddies work there or have worked there. Although the Virgina is considered the most advanced the Seawolf is still the largest an most expensive Fast Attack Boat ever built. So much so they cant afford to build anymore.

R/S

Creepy847.

In case your wondering the Seawolf SSN 21 an 22 are slightly shorter than the Virginia but heavier. They are much more expensive too. The Virginia has a price tag of about 2 billion per boat compared to the Seawolf class which are about 4.5 billion making it properly the most expensive weapon platform ever created.

The last boat in the Seawolf series will be the SSN-23 Jimmy Carter. It will be 100ft longer than the 21 or 22. about 60 ft longer than the Virginia also.

The Seawolfs are also faster than the new Virginia class. I was lucky to have been invited to the launching of the first Seawolf. It doesnt look very large when in the water but when its in dry dock an you walk around the bow you are blown away by the size of it. Its huge the beam about 40ft compared to the beam of the Virginia which is about 33ft.

Im sure the SSN-23 will be the last Seawolf class boat built as they are much too expensive.

R/S

Creepy847

So the Virginia is a different class of boat altogether from the Seawolf class?

Ya, those pricetags are enough to win the war...for the enemy... :huh: