Sign in to follow this  
devere

Anyone still on the fence about RoF

Might want to consider joining in the fun, as there have been 2 new aircraft releases today: The Sopwith Pup and the Sopwith Triplane.

Not only that however, to mark the release of these planes, and the 1.015 patch, 777 have put all the aircraft on sale until october the 8th - and yes that includes the new planes. Regular planes are currently at $2.99 and the 2 new crates are $3.99 :clapping:

As to the patch, sadly its not the biggie people were hoping for, its more of a bug squasher and framework improvements, so no FM or DM changes have been addressed, nor is the new dynamic career here yet. However the 2 new planes are pretty awesome additions, the tripe feels like a more stable camel, and the Pup, oh the Pup ! Finally the entente have a plane that is stunningly good fun to fly and fight in without it smashing to pieces or spinning madly out of control in tight turns. The gyro effects have been pretty well modelled but only having the one gun means you need to rely on being an accurate shot.

That means the chrimbo update will (finally) be the dynamic career so it is now a very good time to buy the sim, and fill your hangar for a very low cost.

And, as an incredible gesture from 777, those who have been onboard since the release of RoF, actually got the Pup for free :yikes:

And, as an incredible gesture from 777, those who have been onboard since the release of RoF, actually got the Pup for free

Seems like 777-exclusive gesture. I have the very first "barren wasteland" Russian release and no Pups bark in my hangar.

Still waiting for the new campaign thingie before reinstalling.

Gr.Viper, I've just checked back at the RoF flight official forums.

Jason has explained in full the qualifiers for the free Pup - It seems I miss read the original info (which in my defense was only a short quoted paragraph saying long time owners). I thought it meant owners of the sim :oops:

To qualify you needed to have not only have bought all previous aircraft before July the 2nd, but you also needed to have been a long time owner. Also extra credit was given to owners who have been either promoting, donating content (mission builders/skinners etc) or have at least constructively criticized the sim with an eye to helping improve it, without blatantly just saying it sucks.

Apologies to both you, and anyone else whose hopes I got up of a free plane if they don't meet those requirements. . Though at least with the current sale, they are still both welcome additions and hopefully the reduced buy price will at least soften the blow for those wanting both planes.

I too share your frustration with the lack of dynamic campaign, I thought with all the press releases and blurb that it was going to be in this patch, with two seaters/bombers in the next one. Till then we are stuck with the same AI flaws, and still rather stilted campaign options. However the quality of content is certainly improving, and it is nice to see a rather broad mix of A/C now.

Edit - if you do qualify just log in online once, then check your hangar, if you have met the requirements there will be a sopwith pups owners badge on the screen that was not there before.

Edited by devere

then check your hangar, if you have met the requirements there will be a sopwith pups owners badge on the screen that was not there before.

Isn't a visit to the store page, where owned planes are marked, a sufficient check?

It's not like I didn't give it 8.2 out of 10 in one of the magazines and a quote from my review isn't on their main Russian page (at the ve-e-ery bottom), but I'm not gonna bother asking. The sim has been in on-the-fly testing by the players since the release and giving a free plane to everybody who dared to take part in the enterprise since the early days (and supported it even by the initial purchase back then) would've been a good gesture. Perhaps also an incentive for a few lost souls to get back in the saddle just in time before big updates happen. However 777 choose to give a boost to the people who already are long-time devouted fans (as if they'd want to leave their favourite sim), leaving the unsupportive unsupported. :grin:

Actually, yes, a visit to the store page and logging in would also let you know.

Whilst of course it is your call as to reminding 777 about your own contribution to RoF, I really would recommend you PM jason. I'm certainly not speaking on anyone's behalf, just with that level of contribution it never hurts to ask...

I think the main part of the reasoning that drove the free plane offer, was that the last sale (RoF:ICE launch), meant many long time supporters who had already purchased all the planes on release date got very little reward. This is just 777's way of rewarding those who gained no benefit from being dedicated supporters. Most companies would have felt offering the 2 planes at reduced price was 'reward' enough in itself. Actually judging from the posts on the official forum, many would have been happy with that deal. I would have been, seeing as I went to the store, fully expecting to buy both planes at regular price.

I personally fall into the constructive criticism category, rather than devouted fan. There is still work to be done before RoF can remove OFF as the most immersive WW1 combat sim, however RoF is more dominant in delivering the need for a quick mad furball fix with great potential for the future. This current promotion just makes it an ideal time to get in on that potential for those who want to keep a tighter grip on their budget. That will leave more cash available for P4 when it arrives. Room on my hard drive for them all.