Sign in to follow this  
Hasse Wind

The Hannover CL.II and its rear guns

Recently I've started flying the Hannover in our DiD campaign. Having read about the plane, it seems that they often had two guns for the observer, and that's what the plane's description in OFF says too. But the actual model has only one. Can this be changed in P4? Would be nice to have some extra firepower in a German two-seater, just like in the Brisfit.

As for suggestions, I know this has been mentioned several times before, but some repetition can't hurt. :grin:

Could you improve the behaviour of two-seater formations so that they try to make better use of their observer guns? This is one of the things that would reduce easy kills. They don't have to maneuver like fighters, just try to position themselves so that the field of fire for the rear guns would be optimal.

Also if possible, can the player controlled rear gun fields of fire be improved? It seems to me that you can't move the guns as well as in real life - some positions, especially downwards, seem to be impossible currently.

Finally, let me thank you for making all these two-seaters flyable. More people should give them a try, it can be a nice change from all the fighter stuff. :drinks:

Although being more the fighter type of pilot, I think improved AI behaviour for 2seats would be nice to see.

And as they are still in the early works, there may be good chances this gets re-considered.

It would make it much more challenging to attack the "big ones".

The Fee could perhaps be made a bit like a semi-Brisfit - it is a 2seater but also a fighter?

Although being more the fighter type of pilot, I think improved AI behaviour for 2seats would be nice to see.

And as they are still in the early works, there may be good chances this gets re-considered.

It would make it much more challenging to attack the "big ones".

The Fee could perhaps be made a bit like a semi-Brisfit - it is a 2seater but also a fighter?

Yes, some RFC squadrons used the Fee in a fighter role. They did quite well against the Eindeckers (which tells something about the Eindecker!) :grin:

Well, that might be unfair against the Fee - it should be able to perform a good fighting.

And a better fighting Fee would make one man especially happy here: Bullethead.

Hey, Bullet - where are you???

And why not add some BE2's with proper armament to P4? Currently the only model we have is not at all useful against anything else than Eindeckers. It would give the Quirks a fighting chance later in the war, though of course not a very good chance. :cool:

" Currently the only model we have is not at all useful against anything else than Eindeckers"

Hi Hasse,

Trust me - depending on the quality of your AI opponents, you can down all sorts with a BE2, as they tend to fixate on the rest of one's flight. I've shot down EIIIs, Halberstadt DIIs, Albatros DIIs, Roland CIIs and even the odd Albatros DIII!

I won't pretend that it's easy going, but it is doable.

Quite agree though that the BE2 should more properly armed. I suggest that the current BE2 is slightly remodelled into the BE12, and that the BE2 have only that rear facing gun for the observer - that would be marvellous (for you Hun scout types!).

No idea if it can be done with OFF but FE2s going into a defensive circle would be nice to see.

You wanna make it even tougher to shoot down a two seater?:yikes: Their rear gunners always shred me, of course I suck at this game. It is one of my goals to climb into my Sopwith Pup and shoot down a DFW without getting clobbered myself!

themightysrc:

Good to know the Quirk can give the Huns a run for their money at least occasionally. In my Bloody April career flying the BE2 I was mostly fleeing from Richthofen's boys and didn't try to challenge them very actively. But in early war I like to put some holes into Einies when they get too close to my flight. And I'd also like to see and fly a BE12. :cool:

DonL:

Try attacking them from below. They have soft bellies and can't fire at you from that angle. But if you attack a formation of two-seaters directly from behind, expect to get clobbered - they aren't THAT helpless. Except if they are Quirks, of course (and that's why we need those rear gunner improvements! You fighter jockeys have it too easy otherwise.) :grin:

Don, the Sopwith products break very easily. Do as Hasse Wind says.

You fly under the D.F.W., and pull your kite up from there, firing into the belly.

Drop your nose, before you get so high, that you come into the range of the gunner;

and repeat the attack, until she goes down.

attack the lowest and most rearwards flying craft - don't attack, when other DFW fly much lower near it -

their gunners would open fire on you.