Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

OT: The Luckiest Shot Ever?

Looks superb Hellshade. Have to be there to get lucky. Not only that, I bet such 'lucky' kills really did happen.

I actually got a very similar kill, when I turned and dived through a flight of He111s. Closed very, very fast from a long way up, only time for 1 shot, but I brought down a Heinkel without even taking a hit myself. Came screaming in, BAM!, dived clean away with the target spiralng out of formation in flames. It all looked clinically excellent, but it was a pure fluke. I also had it all caught on Fraps, but it was early days and I didn't record the sound. I didn't deliberately delete it, but being silent, I put it in the wrong place for storage and it got removed when housekeeping. In fact it might be on my old pc still... hmmm. Another big factor in my success was flying the AVH Yak 7 or 9 (I forget) - the one with bloody great cannon in the nose. One clout from that and you're in trouble whatever you're flying. The luck is in the hit, but with that cannon the subsequent 'kill' is almost inevitable.

Very nice - lucky deflection shots are always nice, although it's the chap who's house he decided to crash on that I feel sorrt for! :grin:

Think the luckiest shot I can remember in a flight sim was in WW2OL a few months ago, I was in a Spitfire Mk I (armed with 8x .303 Brownings, which WW2OLers usualy nickname either 'BBs' or 'Marshmallows', for obvious reasons.)

Saw a 109 flying along about 3000 feet below me, so I dove down vertically and fired a quick burst at him from about 90 degrees (ie he was flying horizontally), didn't seem to do any visible damage but then he lost altitude and crashed into the ground, not sure what it was that got him, presumably a lucky Cockpit shot - suppose the moral of the story is that it doesn't matter what sort of guns you have, it only takes one bullet in the right place.

Got a pretty jammy shot in this video starting at around 1:21 - chased a Stuka in his dive (never a particularly good idea it must be said) and just managed to get a quick slash at him as he pulled out and I was reaching lockup / blackout speed - must have hit one of the fuel tanks or ammo in the inner wing - granted that time I had a Spitfire Mk IX with 2x 20mm cannons. :blum:

Personally though, my favorite kind of kill is when you bounce someone unawares and take them out without them even seeing you.

Fabulous shot, Hellshade :).

Personally though, my favorite kind of kill is when you bounce someone unawares and take them out without them even seeing you.

When I played MMOFS games, my favorite kills were "vulches", which in the lingo of such games means strafing guys who are in the process of taking off. You fly a traffic pattern around their airfield so that you're back in attack position by the time they go through the respawn process, so you can get them again. It was especially gratifiying when 5 or 6 idiots were trying to take off at once and you could kill them all each pass. The main problem was other guys on your side trying to cut in front of you in the curcuit :grin: .

BTW, for them as don't know, "vulch" is derived from "vulture", as in a vulture circling around looking for a meal to pounce on.

Fabulous shot, Hellshade :).

When I played MMOFS games, my favorite kills were "vulches", which in the lingo of such games means strafing guys who are in the process of taking off. You fly a traffic pattern around their airfield so that you're back in attack position by the time they go through the respawn process, so you can get them again. It was especially gratifiying when 5 or 6 idiots were trying to take off at once and you could kill them all each pass. The main problem was other guys on your side trying to cut in front of you in the curcuit :grin: .

BTW, for them as don't know, "vulch" is derived from "vulture", as in a vulture circling around looking for a meal to pounce on.

Aye, we've got our fair share of vulchers in WW2OL as well, although it's a rather dangerous occupation in that game as all Airfields have AI AAA which is exceedingly accurate - so instead we usualy try to bounce the enemy aircraft while they're climbing in between their Airfield and the target town (the game is fought over villages/towns.)

Of course when we do it it's called

, but when the enemy does it they're vulchers. :grin:

And kill stealers are a right pain as well - nothing I hate more than flying up behind a 109 only to see tracer fire come flying past my cockpit because some Frenchie wants to push in line! :heat:

Aye, we've got our fair share of vulchers in WW2OL as well, although it's a rather dangerous occupation in that game as all Airfields have AI AAA which is exceedingly accurate - so instead we usualy try to bounce the enemy aircraft while they're climbing in between their Airfield and the target town (the game is fought over villages/towns.)

Well, if WW2OL is anything like AW, WB, or AH, the flak locations at any given airfield are well-known to all regular players. Then it's just a question of impromptu organization of your buddies, assigning guns to specific guys. 1st pass, everybody kills the flak with bombs, rockets, and/or guns. You might lose 1 or 2 guys, but the rest of your squadron is then in perfect postion to vulch the Hell outta the dweebs. Ah, happy times :diablo:

And kill stealers are a right pain as well - nothing I hate more than flying up behind a 109 only to see tracer fire come flying past my cockpit because some Frenchie wants to push in line! :heat:

This is a recipe for "friendly fire". Back in 1987 (when the 1st MMOFS started) and for decades after, you'd shoot down the friendly but if you got 2 of them in 1 day, you were PNG (personna non grata). That meant you could still play but you had to change sides. Then Aces High came out with a different idea. In that one, there is no "friendly fire". Instead, any of your bullets that hit friendlies instead hit you, so you shoot yourself down. I liked the old way better because AH's method ENCOURAGES kill-stealing. Just cut in front of somebody and you're golden. But there are other ways to get payback on such folks, it just takes longer. :pope: