Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

Can You Identify This WWI "Paperweight" ?

Greetings All,

I purchased this old WWI item to use as paperweight on the desk in my flying room, (for the princely sum of 99 cents), and was wondering who among you can figure out what it is. I already know, but I'm curious how obvious the item's original purpose is to others. It's a little under 2" in diameter and is solid brass.

what_is_it_01.jpg

So who knows or has a guess? :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Looks to me like the "detonator delay adjustment top" of a granade or shell or bomb (sorry, I don't know the right words in English).

THIS REMINDS ME OF: WOULDN'T IT BE A GOOD TIME TO START YOUR NEXT WW1 QUIZ SOON?

Edited by Olham

Very good Herr Olham, you've got it right out of the gate! To be precise, it is the time delay fuse for a Russian 3" shrapnel round from the WWI Eastern Front:

Russian_WWI_Shrapnel_Burst_Diagram.jpg

And I am considering starting up the next Great War quiz once my first-of-the-year conferences are out of the way, which should be in about six weeks.

Great to hear, Lou!

Didn't want to appear pushing - just wanted to make clear that I loved your last one. :drinks:

Thats neat! Where on earth did you find that?

Travel through Flanders and ask the farmers - they must have piles of such things.

(But for a piece like this one, they will surely want some money).

DonL, I was waiting for someone to ask that question, seeing as how this item would have been found at the Eastern Front. I purchased it from a fellow in Riga, Latvia, and while it was only 99 cents for the relic itself, mailing it to the US was another $10.00. Still a bargain, IMHO.

Olham, I am sure many. many similar fuses are available from the Western Front, but they won't be near as stylish as the Russian version. And I'm all about style.

:biggrin:

USRussianGermanFrenchBritShrapnelShells.jpg