Sign in to follow this  
Rugbyfan1972

Graphics card driver issues

Hi,

Perhaps one (or more) of our tech guru's out there can help me.

I am wondering about my graphics card driver, ATI 5870 with the 11.2 64-bit software on windows 7 ultimate 64-bit.

My question is this, I tried using driver sweeper to uninstall the old driver and then rebooted and had windows install software for the 5870, which I then installed the 11.2 software (full package) over.

I now have on the icons in the right hand corner when I click on the ATI thumbnail 4 options I have Catalyst Control Centre and 3 ATI Radeon 5800's showing which when I hover over them they show extended desktop, when I hover over the 1st one it shows rotate display, set desktop area to and 3d settings.

Have I somehow corrupted the driver that I have installed and how do I clear my system so that I can install the driver afresh without doing a complete format and reinstall of windows.

The reason I ask is that I had a local "computer expert" around last weekend and he told me that I had 3 sets of ati drivers installed and had managed to corrupt them. He also told me (which I take with a pinch of salt as I have the original Windows 7 holographic DVD), that as my computer does not show the windows 7 serial number on the startup screen that I had a pirate copy of windows 7.

Can't help you with the ATI card but Driver Sweeper will totally clean any ATI/Nvidia driver remnants. Circle for Parky, BirdDogICT or ? to show up.

As to the MS observation, I have W7 RTM 7600, Build 16835, which is a licensed copy pre release of W7_64 ultimate and it's never shown the s/n on start up. The only place I see those details is when I bring up Computer Properties or when using SIW.

plug_nickel

The reason I ask is that I had a local "computer expert" around last weekend and he told me that I had 3 sets of ati drivers installed and had managed to corrupt them. He also told me (which I take with a pinch of salt as I have the original Windows 7 holographic DVD), that as my computer does not show the windows 7 serial number on the startup screen that I had a pirate copy of windows 7.

The self-proclaimed computer "expert" you refer to here is a moron as far as I'm concerned. Regardless, let's move on to your driver issues. Try the following if you would...

1) Use ATI's built in uninstall utility to uninstall the Catalyst package you currently have installed.

2) Reboot into "Safe Mode"

3) Run Driver Sweeper, and get rid of everything related to ATI.

4) Reboot to Windows and if Windows offers to install any drivers for you, tell it to piss off. This way we avoid installing a standard VGA driver before installing the CATS.

5) Run a clean install of the entire Catalyst 11.2 suite and you should be good to go.

Hope it works for you. If not, let us know. I'm sure one of us will be able to solve the problem. I'm certainly hoping BirdDog and a couple of others chime in here. The more input, the better as far as I'm concerned. Btw...I'm no guru....but this issue shouldn't require one from what I can see.

Cheers,

Parky

Hi,

Perhaps one (or more) of our tech guru's out there can help me.

I am wondering about my graphics card driver, ATI 5870 with the 11.2 64-bit software on windows 7 ultimate 64-bit.

My question is this, I tried using driver sweeper to uninstall the old driver and then rebooted and had windows install software for the 5870, which I then installed the 11.2 software (full package) over.

I now have on the icons in the right hand corner when I click on the ATI thumbnail 4 options I have Catalyst Control Centre and 3 ATI Radeon 5800's showing which when I hover over them they show extended desktop, when I hover over the 1st one it shows rotate display, set desktop area to and 3d settings.

Have I somehow corrupted the driver that I have installed and how do I clear my system so that I can install the driver afresh without doing a complete format and reinstall of windows.

The three icons problem you describe is normal...it's for those overachievers who use three screens with Eyefinity. Sounds to me like your install is fine. Catalyst 11.2 takes a little getting used to...it's a major leap forward in driver support for the 5000 cards.

If you feel you MUST re-install, Parky's method should work. Make sure that you're using a new release of Driver Sweeper for Win 7 64 bit...some older versions have been problematic with ATI drivers, borking users' Windows installations. I used to be a fan of Driver Sweeper back in the days when we had to uninstall ATI drivers each time we upgraded Catalyst, but I haven't found it to be necessary with more recent Catalyst versions.

As of Catalyst 10.2 or so, the Catalyst installation has been painless, since the Catalyst install routine does a good job of deleting the old Catalyst drivers before installing new ones. But I've had a few instances in Windows 7 64 bit when one or two files didn't install correctly and I had to run through the re-install a second time (didn't uninstall Catalyst, just ran install again). You should always choose the option in the install routine to echo back the results at each stage of the install to make sure all components installed correctly. I've had probems only when I forget to close down all unnecessary processes before installation. I haven't encountered any driver incompatibilities with 11.2, but you never know what might cause problems.

Before reinstalling go to Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Uninstall a program -> Turn Windows features on or off and make sure that the checkbox of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 is checked. Some prople have had problems with Catalyst and Win 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1 (hasn't been a problem for me, though).

Hope you get it sorted. If not, we're here to help.

P.S. I also agree with Parky's assessment of your computer guru.

Edited by BirdDogICT

Guys,

Thank you for the replies regarding windows and my graphics card, as it appears to be running normally, I will leave well alone for now.

However I have another question regarding my ram, I have the following installed:

Corsair 8GB XMS3 PC3-10666 1333MHz (4x2GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)

I assume that the 1333MHz refers to the speed it is running at, but when I use programs like CPU-Z and PC Wizard it shows me that the ram is running at 667MHz, in the bios I have the option to change the ram speed, but I am afraid of damaging/frying the ram. I have also read on a forum that for AMD Phenom CPU's 667MHz is the correct ram speed.

Please advise.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

DDR = Double Data Rate

It means it will have two data transfers per clock cycle. So the actual clock speed that you RAM works is 667. However because it is double data rate the effective speed is 1333 (667x2).

It doesn't matter if it is DDR, DDR2 or DDR3 it's always double data rate.