Sign in to follow this  
33LIMA

Undocumented but useful keyboard command?

My OFF manual doesn't seem to mention this command, which might actually be quite useful, at least if, like me, you play with padlock and hatswitch rather than tracking s/w.

Ctrl+` (that's accent key) = target attacker - supposed to target whoever's shooting at you.

Was looking for a way of padlocking different attackers with the TAC/radar turned off, but it seems you must have the TAC on, to either start padlocking or to switch to a different target, which I find a pain as I prefer to leave the TAC off. So thinking of keeping it on, with range set to 1 mile, as it's probably a reasonable simulation of what you (or your flight) should be able to see and compensation for the lack of peripheral vision sitting at a monitor (and what I find to be the indifferent aircraft visibility range in CFS3/OFF - with no 'radar' I can be right in the middle of the AA bursting around enemy planes, before I can see them unaided, not good).

Found this command in the manual for CFS3 addon 'Mosquito Combat' which also says the range at which you see things on the 'radar/TAC is affected by the system's estimate of what you should be able to see given clouds etc (and also your pilot's 'health', interestingly): http://www.contactsa...03%20manual.pdf

It makes the point the CFS3 'radar' is less 'God-like' than the CFS2 version, which is good. Confirms my inclination just to leave it on most of the time, and not feel I'm cheating, so long as I keep the range at, say, 1 mile.

Anyway the Ctrl+` key may make it easier to pick out quickly who's shooting at you, will try it out at next available opportunity.

Edited by 33LIMA

My OFF manual doesn't seem to mention this command, which might actually be quite useful, at least if, like me, you play with padlock and hatswitch rather than tracking s/w.

Ctrl+` (that's accent key) = target attacker - supposed to target whoever's shooting at you.

Was looking for a way of padlocking different attackers with the TAC/radar turned off, but it seems you must have the TAC on, to either start padlocking or to switch to a different target, which I find a pain as I prefer to leave the TAC off. So thinking of keeping it on, with range set to 1 mile, as it's probably a reasonable simulation of what you (or your flight) should be able to see and compensation for the lack of peripheral vision sitting at a monitor (and what I find to be the indifferent aircraft visibility range in CFS3/OFF - with no 'radar' I can be right in the middle of the AA bursting around enemy planes, before I can see them unaided, not good).

Found this command in the manual for CFS3 addon 'Mosquito Combat' which also says the range at which you see things on the 'radar/TAC is affected by the system's estimate of what you should be able to see given clouds etc (and also your pilot's 'health', interestingly): http://www.contactsa...03%20manual.pdf

It makes the point the CFS3 'radar' is less 'God-like' than the CFS2 version, which is good. Confirms my inclination just to leave it on most of the time, and not feel I'm cheating, so long as I keep the range at, say, 1 mile.

Anyway the Ctrl+` key may make it easier to pick out quickly who's shooting at you, will try it out at next available opportunity.

PS don't see Ctrl+` in the keyboard command file (Mine.xca) but it does have this:

<Key ID="Tilde" Mod="Control" Action="TargetLastShooter"/>

...which might be the same thing, except it it Control plus the 'Tilde' key (the wavy line above the hash key, on an English UK keyboard anyway). Will assign to a joystick button and experiment to see what works.

Sounds interesting, and it was new to me. Thank you, LIMA!

I have found recently, that the commands "Attack" and "Help" are mostly all I need.

I tell them to attack, when we go on two-seaters or fighters, which are lower than us.

When we get jumped by fighters, I usually only press "Help", and they will attack the planes next to me,

while I try to pepper each and every enemy craft to make it easier for my wingmen.

May not be "historically correct", but it is very effective.