Sign in to follow this  
Rugbyfan1972

OT: American war of independence autobiography

All,

I have been trying to find a book on the internet that was mentioned in a programme I saw on the American war of Indenpendence, the olnly problem is I can't remember the name of the book which is why I am asking for help.

I do remember the programme said the book was written by a man who had been a young soldier fighting on the american side, his age was 15-17 (I think) and his first name was Joe/Joseph (again I am not 100% sure of this), he wrote the book when he was an old man and it is well known in America as one of the finest if not the finest book written about that war.

If some kind soul could provide me with the title of the book and the name of the author I would be most grateful.

RugbyFan, I've a hunch you're referring to the Joseph Plumb Martin narrative:

A Narrative of a Revolutionary Soldier

An outstanding work, BTW.

RAFL,

That is the book, thank you and also what a quick response - now I just have to find it in an epub format (no luck so far).

Edited by Rugbyfan1972

If I had checked back here a few minutes earlier I could have saved you the money RF. Here is an excellent online library with a link to a plain text version of Martin's book:

ONLINE LIBRARY of the REVOLUTIONARY WAR

PRIVATE YANKEE DOODLE

Edited by RAF_Louvert
repaired link

The wonderful part of Joseph Plumb Martin's accounts of his experiences is that it is the only known day-to-day sort of account from the enlisted man's point of view. One of the wonderful things about his observations about the follies of the military is that they have a lot in common with more modern accounts coming from WWI and II in terms of what the soldier's life is like.

I have actually paid my respects to his grave in Stockton Springs, Maine on the Penobscot River.

A simple stone marks him as "A Soldier of the Revolution"

Hope you enjoy the read.

Thanks for the link to the library RAF_ Louvert! Another one to add to the list!