Sign in to follow this  
FrankTB

hard drive advice

Hi folks would appreciate any advice on how western digital and seagate hard drives stackup against each other.as it seems like my

present 1tb seagate barracuda is probably on the way out as its getting awful noisy when it starts up. Maybe a good chance to also

look into possibly adding a ssd drive as well?

Thanks to anyone in advance.

Western digital is reliable. No probs with failure yet and affordable. I have 2 running on my pc and preparing to get more when can.

As a computer technician and working with hard drives everyday, WD hands down for mechanical and OCZ for SSD. To test if your current drive is going out, use this and run a full error scan and look for bad sectors. Most times, loud noise isn't indicative of the HDD going out. When you start it up and hear click click is when you want to worry.

I'll 2nd that WD recommendation. It's been quite some time since I bought a non-WD drive. I think it was a Maxtor.

Not to say I've never had a WD fail, I have. Just that there is a lower percentage of them that do.

Thanks chaps for the great response,suhsjake will certainly give the hd tune a go and ocz ssd was the one I was considering could afford a 128gb as they are not to expensive these days.

as for the WD hd would the Cavier black over the blue be the better choice? One thing that also drew my attention to WD is that they have a 5 year warranty.

Caviar Blue are orentated towards mainstream computer use. Caviars Blacks are for enthusiast, performance, and IT users and have close to double the speed of the Blues depending on model plus better customer support. As for warranties, I think all HD Manufactures switched to 3 and 1 year warranties after the Thailand floods. I haven't caught up on my reading material though.

Edited by suhsjake

That sorts it out for me, the black it will be and they are reasonably priced thanks again.