Sign in to follow this  
LEChouffleur

New Controller - Reactive Grip - Kickstarter

Game Controller Lets You Feel The Weight Of Virtual Objects
Closing soon on Kickstarter, the Reactive Grip tricks your muscles into thinking they're in more than just a game.

Controller feedback hasn't changed that much since the days of the Nintendo 64: something happens to your on-screen virtual avatar, and the controller rumbles in your hands to alert you. Although there have been tweaks, this has been the standard mechanism all the way up through the latest generation of consoles, the just-released PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.  

So it's refreshing to see innovation in the field, like the Reactive Grip controller--even if an influx of funding the creators were hoping for hasn't come. With 46 hours to go, the Reactive Grip, a creation by a team called Tactical Haptics that allows gamers to "feel" the weight of virtual objects, is still about $90,000 short of meeting its $175,000 Kickstarter goal

http://www.popsci.com/article/gadgets/game-controller-lets-you-feel-weight-virtual-objects#YwTYh6H2jXDjUvsZ.30

Seems like a useful idea. Beats FF buzzing anyway.

That is rather neat, LEChouffleur.  Let's hope they reach their funding goals.

And welcome to the forums by the way.  :smile:

• Like 1

Very interesting. Not sure it would translate well to flight or driving sims without being placed on a base of some sort though. I think having a handle that you have to hold up rather than one that you place your hands on would detract from the immersion.

I was very surprised by some of the other tech in the video. Especially that platform thing that apparently lets you "walk" and "turn" in VR.

Thanx for the info and the link, Chouffleur.

I hope they get somewhere, too, and add my welcome, but at this point am not sure about it's applicability to our type of simmming.  Still, it brings up something I've considered starting a separate thread  for.  My Saitek X-52 is not a force feedback stick.  The devs have noted that the winds of WOFF will be more realistic, buffeting you around, etc.

Now re-creating this sensation isn't easy - when you get buffeted in the air, it isn't the stick that  shakes as much as it is YOU.  I just had that delighful experience landing in Clevekand today (I was laughing, which only increases my barmy level.  But I fear without even force feedback, I'll miss out on this aspect.

I think there used to be a chair you could get with some kind of shaker in the seat (no off-color remarks here, this is a nice forum).  But it seems to me to get turbulence "right" you'd need something like that.  Just some thoughts,..