I assume the campaign is automatically saved?  There is a save mission button after you fly a mission, but is that for just that mission in case you wanted to fly it again in the single mission tab?   

The reason I ask is tonight I flew a very long mission in the Red Thunder campaign, and died from a SAM launch 20 miles from base.  I previously completed a number of missions successfully. I didn't have any desire to re-fly the mission immediately.  If I select "re-fly", but I exit the game, where does that leave me (in terms of campaign time) when I reload the campaign later on?  I don't think I want to hit accept, since it says the campaign is over.  I hope this makes sense.

Haven't flown a campaign in some time but IIRC hitting "refly" and exiting the game leaves you at the start of the abandoned mission. 

If you abandon a SF2 campaign mission part-way thru the mission you can take up where you left off in the campaign, but if you die, then the campaign is over, and you can't re-fly it, or any other mission in that particular campaign, again.