Sign in to follow this  
Stephen1918

Sopwith Triplane - Early

Sopwith Triplane - Early

The Sopwith Triplane, also known as the "Tripe" or "Tripehound," was introduced at the end of 1916. By mid 1917, several British and French naval squadrons were equipped with the plane. The narrow chord of the three staggered wings gave the pilot an excellent field of view and gave the plane an exceptional rate of climb as well as outstanding agility. The Triplane was considered an exceptional fighter and stayed in service until replaced by the Sopwith Camel in late 1917. Captured Sopwith Triplanes inspired the development of the more famous Fokker Dr.1.

The first planes produced had a tail plane nearly identical to the tail of the Sopwith Pup. Early planes also had a 110hp Clerget engine. A smaller tail plane was introduced early in 1917. The engine was also replaced with a more powerful 130hp Clerget engine.  

This is an early version of the Sopwith Triplane with a wider tail and lower powered engine. It has two skins, one French and one British, with appropriate decals. Note - these skins are NOT interchangeable with the skins for my other Sopwith Triplanes. 

A fully functional cockpit is included, along with my skinning templates. I have included a sound file for the Clerget engine, but you may already have it. 

Credits
Although he's very busy these days, Ojcar found the time to make the FM for the early Sopwith Triplane. My thanks to him.

I have included a sound file for the Clerget engine created by Nixou. It has been used on other planes, so you may already have it. I included it with this download in case you don't.

Historical Note
The 110 hp Clerget engine was the 9Z. I don't have a sound file for the 9Z so I used a sound for the Clerget 9B instead.

Installation Instructions
For FE1 - Unzip the file and move the folder named "SopwithTriplane" into the FirstEagles/Objects/Aircraft folder.

I have included Nixou's sound for the Clerget engine. It has been used with other planes, so you may already have it. If you don't, copy the file named "clerget9b2m2" from my Sounds folder into your FirstEagles/Sounds folder.

For FE2 - Unzip the file and move the folder named "SopwithTriplane" into the FirstEagles/Objects/Aircraft folder. Then in the FirstEagles/Objects/Decals folder, create new folder named "SopwithTriplane". Move the folder named "D" from the Aircraft/SopwithTriplane folder into the Decals/SopwithTriplane folder you just made.

I have included Nixou's sound for the Clerget engine. It has been used with other planes, so you may already have it. If you don't, copy the file named "clerget9b2m2" from my Sounds folder into your FirstEagles/Sounds folder.

• Thanks 3