Sign in to follow this  
Aeroworld

FAA pilots

Much more a curiosity than a topic related to this sim. Argentina is full of italians that went there searching for a job and an affordable life during the first half of the 20th century. Iknow the story of two of them that became pilots for the Fuerza Aerea Argentina.

About the first one, I don't know the name. He was from Talamona (Sondrio), a small town nearby where I live. He did get there with his parents in the 60's or so. My father said he died in the Malvinas while fighting on a Mirage. I'll search more infos about him.

The second one has a more clear story since I talked a lot with his mother, now living in Italy. His name was Antonio Olivieri and he did pilot Mirage too. He didn't died during the conflict, but in an accident occurred some years later in a training flight. I don't remember exactly if he served from Puerto Belgrano or if he trained there.

My father said the last name of the pilot was GAVAZZI and in fact, on the FAA website, I found a Fausto Gavazzi (but the site don't say he was born in Italy).

Honour to all those braves who lost their lives.