Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

Official Game Patches and Services Packs

Official Game Patches, Service Packs and Updates from Thirdwire

Note: Since 2007 ThirdWire call Patches and Service Packs "Updates"

IMPORTANT: If you have modified your game back it up completely before installing any patches or Service Packs.

It’s likely that Patches and Service Packs will delete or replace some of your modded files.

When a major Service Pack is released it is often best practise to backup your existing game and then start again with a clean install. You can then drag and drop mods from your old game into this fresh install.

Please see the knowledgebase on how to back up your game (this can actually be done by making a COPY of the entire game folder – i.e. C:\program Files\Strike Fighters\)

Content

1. What is a Patch?

2. What is a Service Pack?

3. Should I install patches and Service Packs?

4. Doesn’t the modding community provide these types of fixes?

5. How do I tell what Patch version I need?

6. Okay so where do I download these Patches from?

7. Thirdwire does not have the earlier Patch I need to run a Mod!

8. How do I install a Patch / Service Pack?

9. Should I install patches before or after adding my Mods?

10. Help a Patch has overwritten my Mods!

11. I Get a .dll error after patching.

12. Installing Patches over already Modded installs

13. Known Patch and Service Pack History

1. What is a Patch/Update?

From October 2007 the naming convention was changed by Thirdwire - all patches are of the simpler format "Oct 2007", "Oct 2008" etc and are called "Updates"

A patch (sometimes called a Hot-Fix) is a small update that fixes bugs with your game. By installing patches you make your game more stable (better).

Patch versions are named by release date – so v02.19.07 is the same as 19th February 2007

2. What is a Service Pack?

From October 2007 the naming convention was changed by Thirdwire - all Service Packs are of the simpler format "Oct 2007", "Oct 2008" etc and are called "Updates"

Basically it’s a large patch – ThirdWire call major patches “Service Packs”

The differences to a patch were:

• Game improvements and new features are included (i.e. SP4 included clouds)
  • Every single fix from every previous patch and Service Pack is included.
  • The actual service Pack file will be much bigger in terms of Mega Bytes

Service Pack versions are also named by release date also – so v02.19.07 is the same as 19th February 2007

3. Should I install patches/Service Packs/Updates?

It is a must that you install updates. Most of the time you will want to install up to and including the latest Patches / Service Packs.

The only exception to this is if you intend to run a Mod that only works with a previous Update.

You only need to install the latest update unless specified in the Updates README file, because the latest update includes all the previous fixes for the game.

IMPORTANT: If you have modified your game back it up completely before installing any patches or Service Packs.

It’s likely that Patches and Service Packs will delete or replace some of your modded files.

When a major Service Pack is released it is often best practise to backup your existing game and then start again with a clean install. You can then drag and drop mods from your old game into this fresh install.

Please see the knowledgebase on how to back up your game (this can actually be done by making a COPY of the entire game folder – i.e. C:\program Files\Strike Fighters\)

4. Doesn’t the modding community provide these types of fixes?

The type of fixes in a patch can only be carried out by Third Wire because they are the only people with access to the games engine code.

5. How do I tell what Patch version I need?

First check the game version you have already by loading up your game. On the first main menu screen look at the bottom right hand corner and note the number (which is actually a date) i.e. v06.30.07 is 30 June 2007. (NOTE: from October 2007 the naming convention for game version was changed to a simple date ie "Oct 2008" )

Then you just go to Thirdwires downloads section, select your game version,

then see if there are any patches with a later date – that is the one you need - easy hey!

6. Okay so where do I download these Patches from?

From Thirdwires Web site http://www.thirdwire.com/

or

from the Downloads section here at CombatAce.

7. Thirdwire does not have the earlier Patch I need to run a Mod!

The downloads section here at Combat Ace should have it.

8. How do I Install a Patch / Service Pack?

1. Save the file to your Desktop (not required but easy to find)

2. (AFTER BACKING UP YOUR GAME ) Double click on the file

3. Select the Next button

4. Next select the path:

• If you only have 1 install then leave it as default.
  • If you have multiple installs of the same game you need to manually set the path by using the “Browse” button and going to where the game folder for that install is.

NOTE: The path must be set to the main top level folder for the game.

5. When set – hit the “Install” button

9. Should I install patches before or after adding my Mods?

Ideally this is the best practise:

1. Install the Game.

2. Install only the Patches and Service Packs you need in the correct order.

3. Make copies of the game for each install you require. For example: For campaigns you need separate installs for each one, and you may want to leave one install unmodded for online gaming!

4. Start adding the Mods.

10. Help a Patch has overwritten my Mods!

Restore from a backup or download and install them again.

11. I get a .dll error message after patching my game

In 95% of cases errors after patching (involving d3dx9_28.dll or .30.dll ) means you need to also update your version of Direct X which is part of Windows. This update (or patch) will also be available via the Thirdwire web site which should point you to the correct version (Currently Direct X 9.0c (april)), or just go direct to www.Microsoft.com and get it from there.

12. Installing Patches over already modded installs

IMPORTANT: This is done entirely at your own risk and is only recommended for advanced users - because there is no guarantee that everything will work after you have carried this out.

Procedure 1:

(Author: USAFMTL)

You want to patch and not worry about add ons? Do this.

1. Make a fresh/new/vanilla install of WOE/SF/WOV. Yes you can have more than one install.

2. Patch it {with Direct X if need be yada yada yada}

3. Copy the .DLL and .CAT files ONLY to your add on (modded) version of SF/WOV/WOE. Example there is a folder called SYSTEM, copy the contents of that folder to your add on (modded) install. Then look at the FLIGHT folder, MENU folder etc and do the same.

4. Make sure you copy over the new terrain files to your add on install. I.e. GermanyCE etc.

5. In the install of your SF/WOV/WOE you will see the exe’s, a few .dll's an options.ini and other loose files. You will need those also copied to your add on install as well. {you will have to reset your graphic and gameplay settings but that take a minute}

DO NOT copy your CONTROLS folder over if you have it set up for your joystick or you will have to reset your stick.

Finally burn a copy of the vanilla install for future patching. New patch, drag and drop burned install to your desktop or directory of choice, patch it, follow the above procedures.

Procedure 2

(Author: Spook 27)

I do this with SFP1/WoV and IL2FB/AEP/PF and LOMAC and FS9 - Make a Spare empty folder next to your Original Sim and name it accordingly eg: Wings Over Vietnam_Shunt and put into it a copy of your WoV.exe (or whatever else it is your are patching).

When you execute the patch direct the install to the spare empty folder. The patch will see the correct .exe and then create all subfolders and add the new files. You can then examine the files that are added and see where they all go. You are free to drag 'em individually across to the real sim folder and see what it is that the new files replace, giving you the choice of what to use.

It may be stating the obvious, but I would never let anything get directly at my highly modified Sims, all of which are many Gigs in size, too big to back up without another PC! As indicated this works for all of the above.

13. Known Patch and Service Pack History

NOTE: Later games are released with earlier Patches and Service Packs already installed, which is why there are less of them listed.

NOTE: There are several patches listed after SP4 was released that you won’t find at the Thirdwire site. This is because they have just been incorporated into the latest Patches.

Windows 98 and XP releases

Strike Fighters Project 1(SFP1) 2002

vN/A(Service Pack 1)

vN/A(Service Pack 2)

v11.05.04 (Service Pack 3)

v05.13.05 (Patch)

v07.05.05 (Patch)

v05.15.06 (Service Pack 4)

v05.25.06 (Patch – includes some SP4 fixes)

v07.10.06 (Patch)

v08.30.06 (Patch)

Oct 2008 (Patch) - Can be used over any version (TW say last patch for SFP1)

Support Ended

Strike Fighters Gold (SFG) 2004

vN/A (Patch)

v05.13.05 (Patch)

v07.05.05 (Patch)

v05.15.06 (Patch)

v07.10.06 (Patch)

v08.30.06 (Service Pack 4)

Oct 2008 (Patch) - Can be used over any version (TW say last patch for SFG)

Support ended

Wings Over Vietnam (WOV) 2004

vN/A (Patch)

v05.13.05 (Patch)

v07.05.05 (Patch)

v05.15.06 (Service Pack 4)

v07.10.06 (Patch)

v08.30.06 (Patch)

Sep 2008 (Service Pack 5)

Oct 2008 (Patch) - Can be used over any version

Support Ended

Wings Over Europe (WOE) 2006

v08.30.06 (Patch)

Sep 2008 (Service Pack 5 )

Oct 2008 (Patch) - Can be used over any version

Support Ended

First Eagles (FE) 2006

v12.27.06 (Patch 1)

v02.19.07 (Patch 2)

Oct 2007 (Expansion Pack 1)

Apr 2008 (Patch 3) - Can be used over both a plain FE install, and FE with the Expansion Pack 1.

Oct 2008 (Patch 4) - Can be used over any version

Nov 2008 (Patch 5) - Can be used over any version

Support Ended

First Eagles Gold (FEG) 2008 (This combines the Original and Expansion Pack into 1 Game)

Nov 2008

Support Ended

Wings Over Israel (WOI) 2008

Note - These patches are NOT for Combat Over Israel

Apr 2008 (Patch 1)

Aug 2008 (Patch 2)

Sep 2008 (Patch 3)

Oct 2008 (Patch 4) - Can be used over any version

WOI Expansion Pack due 2010(This will be the last 1st Gen update)

Combat Over Israel (COI) 2008

None released yet

Windows XP/Vista/Win 7

The Strike Fighters 2 Series and First Eagles 2 games have replaced those above and are being supported with the latest updates

Edited by MigBuster
  • Like 1