HomeFries

Trying to limit Modex values with skins

I'm currently working on a set of low vis A-6 skins for use with the default markings (e.g. A6TailL, InsigniaLVBWingL, etc.), and I would like to have a separate set for CAG birds (LV markings with color tail) and another set for the full low vis (LV markings, LV tails).

I have already done the tails and created the CAG birds. That was easy enough (300,400,500,600 in the numbers.lst, and call out custom decals for modex). However, I'd like for the other LV birds to use modexes other than the double-nuts. Starting at 301 is easy (DecalNumberStart=1), but once I get to 324 I would like to cycle to 401. Problem is that deleting 400 in numbers.lst just has the effect of offsetting my count by 1 (i.e. if I delete 400 and select 401 as my bird, 400 shows up in the modex, then 401 for 402 and so on).

I know I can do DecalNumberStart=1 and set DecalNumberBlockSize=24, the question is whether there is a way to force the program to skip a number in the sequence without offsetting the decals.

Thanks in advance.

by having the 'custom' decals in the seperate (don't let them be pulled from the cats) /A-6E_79/*skninname*/D/*numbers*, and by renumbering them (after removing the 00 sequences). That's the only way I know! Or, have each squadron's skin decal set for the Modex required.

seperate squadrons should have their own specific modex decals

Thanks, Wrench. Not the answer I was hoping for, but certainly the answer I was expecting.

That begs a new question: from where do I extract the USN2Num TGA files? I haven't been able to find them in the existing CAT files, and custom Modexes will mean custom 2-numbers as well.

objectdata006, iirc, for bot 2 and 3 digit modex

Modex numbers are the most tedious part of any navy skin. I might be plugging here, but if you want to see a kind-of how it's done on Navy skins, check out MyTai's phantom skins, my skins for the TMF Tomcat, EricJ or Siddog's superhornets or Wrench's Skyhawks skins. Any of those will get you familiar with what it can take.

A reminder: in the LV period, Navy modex numbers for tactical jets skipped 8 and 9 in any position. It had to do in part with the maintenance sheets only having 8 slots in a row. So usually unless you can find pictures to prove to yourself otherwise, skip any modex using those numbers and rename accordingly.

Thanks, guys, for the replies.

@St0rm, I'll definitely check out the modex pack when I get home.

@Swordsman, interesting factoid regarding the 8-9 series modex. I've never seen one of those myself either. I can't imagine the need for them anymore, considering that four of the CVW organic missions are now accomplished with the Hornet airframe.

Just so you guys understand, I'm not planning to do custom squadron skins. My design philosophy is to have a variety of modular skins for all of the existing A-6 squadrons and logos in the game, which is essentially enhancing the default USN/USMC skins and adding some options. That's also why with the exception of the CAG/LV counterparts, I'm keeping the default 300-624 modexes, despite the fact that I haven't heard of an A-6 using anything other than a 5xx or 6xx.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do historical squadron skins; about all the time I have is for researching/creating BuNos, and making sure I don't use BuNos involved with fatalities or POW/MIAs. I figure next I'll add the dorsal logo above the wing, then create logos for the squadrons that used them.

Edited by HomeFries

I was trying to restrict certain squadrons/skins to either the 300 series or 400 series (per the CVW)), but the game wouldnt let me. No matter that I listed only 400 modexes in the NumberList, it would still default to using the 300.

Sounds like an arduous task. Good luck

-Jeff

I was trying to restrict certain squadrons/skins to either the 300 series or 400 series (per the CVW)), but the game wouldnt let me. No matter that I listed only 400 modexes in the NumberList, it would still default to using the 300.

Sounds like an arduous task. Good luck

-Jeff

What happens is the first entry in the NUMBERS.LST corresponds to the 000 slot (e.g. USNAttackNum000) regardless of the value in the file. Think of the NUMBERS.LST being a one-dimensional array where the entries in the list correspond to the modex you see in the loadout screen, while the slot used corresponds to the position of the number in the array. This means that regardless of your first entry in NUMBERS.LST, you will start with 300, custom modex decals notwithstanding.

Fortunately, there is an easy solution to your problem. If you want to restrict your modexes to 400, leave the original 300-624 NUMBERS.LST intact, and add the following lines to your TEXTURE ini file:

DecalNumberBlockSize=25  <----this is fine where it is
DecalNumberStart=25      <----With the first address of an array being 0, this starts with the 26th entry in the array, which should correspond to 400
DecalNumberEnd=49        <----Keeps you from going into the 500 series modexes

Hope this helps.

Edited by HomeFries

Thanks. I'll try your way tonight. I did something similiar, but can already see why it didn't work, from your example.

My numbers may be slightly off (I wrote that from memory while at work), but if it needs to be updated I will change the post when I get home. I do know that it works; I was able to limit my A-6Bs to the 500 series (since I didn't have enough BuNos to cover the 100 entries).

EDIT: Duplicate posts

Edited by HomeFries

Thanks again, guys.

After looking at Drdoyo's modexes, I realized how my omitting the 00 aircraft from the LV skins would possibly screw up the campaign if somebody were to create one using those skins. Therefore, I won't go forward with removing 00 from the LV skins; people will need to perform their own due dilligence based on how much they care.

However, that mod has also done the tedious work that allows us to have our cake (500/600 modex) and eat it too (all 100 slices). I'll do some playing around with this.

Folks,

I have a philosophy of not starting a second enhancement until I know that the first one works properly. As such, I have been putting my time into skins and decal placement, and the custom modex took a back seat until now.

Now that I am getting into DRD's modex pack, I've been looking more closely as to what needs to be done. My understanding is this:

• Regardless of how many numbers are in NUMBERS.LST, the campaign engine will always use 0-99 (i.e. all 100 slots)
  • Limiting NUMBERS.LST and putting DecalNumberBlockSize, DecalNumberStart, and DecalNumberEnd in TEXTURESET.INI only affects player-selected aircraft

Therefore, if I want to limit the modexes to 500-524, I need to:

• Create a NUMBERS.LST with 500 through 524
  • Use DRD's decals, or create decals going from 500-524, then copy and rename them 25-49, 50-74, 75-99

Are my assumptions correct?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: One more question:

Does DecalNumberRandomize=TRUE have any effect on the campaign selected aircraft, or is this just for player-selected aircraft?

Edited by HomeFries