Sign in to follow this  
bernard

What can you do in WoV?

I've been playing SFP1 for about three months now, playing a lot on Gepard's DRV terrain and have been thinking about buying WoV. I have been editing campaigns and am familiar with editing the campaigns.

Before I buy WoV wanted to find out what sorts or mission can be flown.

I saw from the planning maps in the terrain downloads section that the whole of Vietnam is included in the terrain. Is it possible to fly close air support in the south of the country? Can you fly missions off Dixie station and how are CAS mission dealt with if the VC/NVA rarely use tanks?

I don't particularly want to buy it and find I'm just flying strike and fighter missions over the north.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer.

I've been playing SFP1 for about three months now, playing a lot on Gepard's DRV terrain and have been thinking about buying WoV. I have been editing campaigns and am familiar with editing the campaigns.

Before I buy WoV wanted to find out what sorts or mission can be flown.

I saw from the planning maps in the terrain downloads section that the whole of Vietnam is included in the terrain. Is it possible to fly close air support in the south of the country? Can you fly missions off Dixie station and how are CAS mission dealt with if the VC/NVA rarely use tanks?

I don't particularly want to buy it and find I'm just flying strike and fighter missions over the north.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer.

There are close air support missions in the single missions. Don't know about in the campaigns, haven't played it enough yet. But, in the single missions, the NVA seems to have tanks, and be met in some battles by US tanks (M48's). You won't see infantry, or enemy positions. The sim deals basically with Rolling Thunder, Linebacker 1 and Linebacker 2, so it's primarily missions over the North. If you're looking for strikes on infantry, hopefully someone will do the infantry mods that I've seen for WW2 in the downloads, just repaint them for Nam. Also, if I remember where I was correctly, and I probably don't, because I wasn't paying close attention, most CAS seems to be along the DMZ, or thereabouts. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I have just finished the 2nd major campaign in WOV playing VA-75 (the sole Human controlled A-6 outfit in the first 2 campaigns). Most of the missions were typical strikes against typical targets during that time frame. In that when I played Rolling Thunder, again as VA-75, I flew against bridges (kind of realistic when I was ordered to strike the same bridge twice in the same week), factories, ports, and selected bunkers. Just near the end of the Campaign I started to fly SEAD missions. When I flew as VA-75 in Linebacker I again flew missions against bridges, factories, and selected port facilitites; however there was also an increase in missions flying Iron Hand and flying against runaways. I have just started Linebacker II as VA-75 and the mission set up so far is the same as Linebacker I. USAF, USN, and USMC assets are available. You can only fly A-1H's for USAF in the Linebacker stock campaigns, there are F-4B's in either USN or USMC in all 3 campaigns. F-4D's in all 3 campaigns, A-6A's in all 3 campaigns in only 2 USN Squadrons, F-8E's in either USMC or USN colours in 3 stock campagins, F-4J's in the USN Linebacker campaigns, F-105's in USAF campagins for all 3, F-4E's in USAF Linebacker Campaigns, A-4's in either USN or USMC in all 3 campagins, and finally F-100D's in Rolling Thunder. What you don't get a chance to fly but will see airborne is B-57's and B-52D's along with O-1E's. I am almost postive that the USAF and USMC missions will be the same as what I have played as my A-6 campaign. I have also seen the AI using either A-1's or A-4's in all 3 missions doing Road Recce missions, so maybe those are available in the stock campaigns if you select those squadrons.