Sign in to follow this  
jopiazz10

SP1 Korean Campaign

Hi guys, need a little help from someone. Just started to play WOV and was wondering why I couldn't play Edwards Korean War add on? It says that should have the Korean terrain, but I don't! I'm assuming that's only in SP1 which I can't find a copy of? Can someone help? Can the file be emailed to me?

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys, need a little help from someone. Just started to play WOV and was wondering why I couldn't play Edwards Korean War add on? It says that should have the Korean terrain, but I don't! I'm assuming that's only in SP1 which I can't find a copy of? Can someone help? Can the file be emailed to me?

Thanks in advance.

Eduard's Korean War mod works just fine in WOV, I've played it that way myself. Download and install the complete mod found in the files section. If you don't already have it, download and install the SFP1 cat extractor found in the files section here, you'll need it to make one small adjustment. It works on both SFP and WOV. I think the Complete Korean Mod has the terrain in it. If not go here: http://www.majorleesaerodrome.net/

to download a very good version of it. Then, just install all the new files that you have into a copied and pasted version of WOV that's installed into a new folder, such as, Korea. Use the cat extractor to find and extract the SEA.cat file found in your new installation's Objects/Terrain folder. Extract it. Move it to the folder with the Korean terrain in it and rename it Korea.cat. That should do it.

I do have two further recommendations, however, based on help I've gotten here at Combat Ace. First, purchase a Valuesoft version of SFP1 for $4.99 from Circuit City, either from one of their stores if you live near one, or online, and use that for all your modded versions of this sim, after patching to the latest version, because it has a greater number of mission types available than WOV, because WOV was designed with American missions over Nam in mind, so the type list is limited. Second, make sure you download and install MK2's excellent Red Falcon Korean war mod, which installs right in the new version you've created, without another separate installation. This mod, like the Korean mod, will work in WOV if you decide not to make the switch.

I'll be watching this thread, so send me a mayday if you have any problems. :)

Eduard's Korean War mod works just fine in WOV, I've played it that way myself. Download and install the complete mod found in the files section. If you don't already have it, download and install the SFP1 cat extractor found in the files section here, you'll need it to make one small adjustment. It works on both SFP and WOV. I think the Complete Korean Mod has the terrain in it. If not go here: http://www.majorleesaerodrome.net/

to download a very good version of it. Then, just install all the new files that you have into a copied and pasted version of WOV that's installed into a new folder, such as, Korea. Use the cat extractor to find and extract the SEA.cat file found in your new installation's Objects/Terrain folder. Extract it. Move it to the folder with the Korean terrain in it and rename it Korea.cat. That should do it.

I do have two further recommendations, however, based on help I've gotten here at Combat Ace. First, purchase a Valuesoft version of SFP1 for $4.99 from Circuit City, either from one of their stores if you live near one, or online, and use that for all your modded versions of this sim, after patching to the latest version, because it has a greater number of mission types available than WOV, because WOV was designed with American missions over Nam in mind, so the type list is limited. Second, make sure you download and install MK2's excellent Red Falcon Korean war mod, which installs right in the new version you've created, without another separate installation. This mod, like the Korean mod, will work in WOV if you decide not to make the switch.

I'll be watching this thread, so send me a mayday if you have any problems. :)

Thanks for your help Heck. In regards to buying a copy at Circuit City, no can do. We don't have those in Toronto, Canada.

I'm experiencing a problem with the Yom Kippur War. Where do I find the terrain for that mod? It's probably why every time I select an aircraft it throws me out of the sim.

Thanks for your help Heck. In regards to buying a copy at Circuit City, no can do. We don't have those in Toronto, Canada.

I'm experiencing a problem with the Yom Kippur War. Where do I find the terrain for that mod? It's probably why every time I select an aircraft it throws me out of the sim.

Don't know if your ctd is being caused by an improper terrain .cat, or not. I'm using Yom Kippur, but on SFP rather than WOV. Too bad you can't order SFP online from Circuit City. They had options to send it to a store for pickup, or deliver it to your home address. If this isn't an option for you, email me at heckmitchell@yahoo.com and I'll check and see if I can find it locally, then mail it to you at your home address. Can't promise I'll be able to find it, but I'll certainly check for it. You won't be able to find the terrain .cat alone, because it's a copyrighted file. You may be able to get Yom Kippur to work using a renamed SEA.cat, but I haven't tried it in WOV, so I can't say for certain it will work, although every other campaign I've tried works with it.

One question comes to mind. Where do you ctd? When you select an aircraft, or in the loadout screen?

Don't know if your ctd is being caused by an improper terrain .cat, or not. I'm using Yom Kippur, but on SFP rather than WOV. Too bad you can't order SFP online from Circuit City. They had options to send it to a store for pickup, or deliver it to your home address. If this isn't an option for you, email me at heckmitchell@yahoo.com and I'll check and see if I can find it locally, then mail it to you at your home address. Can't promise I'll be able to find it, but I'll certainly check for it. You won't be able to find the terrain .cat alone, because it's a copyrighted file. You may be able to get Yom Kippur to work using a renamed SEA.cat, but I haven't tried it in WOV, so I can't say for certain it will work, although every other campaign I've tried works with it.

One question comes to mind. Where do you ctd? When you select an aircraft, or in the loadout screen?

Wouldn't know where to start.How would I rename that file and where would I put it???

Wouldn't know where to start.How would I rename that file and where would I put it???

Download the cat extractor by following this link:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=343

Once you have it installed, have it look in the main terrain folder of the new installation of WOV that you've made. There's only one .cat there, it's called SEA.cat. Extract it. It will now appear in your main terrain folder. Copy and paste it into the folder that contains the new terrain that you've downloaded, which should be a folder inside your main terrain folder called Korea. Once the SEA.cat is in the Korea folder, right click on it and select rename from the menu options. Rename it to the name of the folder, ie: Korea.cat, and that should allow you to use the Korea terrain without problems. It certainly worked for me. Hope this helps.

Download the cat extractor by following this link:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=343

Once you have it installed, have it look in the main terrain folder of the new installation of WOV that you've made. There's only one .cat there, it's called SEA.cat. Extract it. It will now appear in your main terrain folder. Copy and paste it into the folder that contains the new terrain that you've downloaded, which should be a folder inside your main terrain folder called Korea. Once the SEA.cat is in the Korea folder, right click on it and select rename from the menu options. Rename it to the name of the folder, ie: Korea.cat, and that should allow you to use the Korea terrain without problems. It certainly worked for me. Hope this helps.

Can I do that for a mod add on like Yom Kippur War?

Can I do that for a mod add on like Yom Kippur War?

Can't say for certain that it will work. Both readme's say that the mods were designed for SFP, but, like I said, Korea works with the SEA.cat, so it might work. When it comes to a good terrain folder for it, you might try this link:

http://www.sfmods.com/terrain.html

Here you'll find Dueces' excellent desert terrain, which is based on the SFP tiles, if I'm not mistaken. You might try putting that into the terrain folder for Yom Kippur, then copy in your extracted SEA.cat and rename it Yom Kippur. One problem that I've encountered in the past using SEA.cat is that the airfields seem to be oriented wrong for the Mid East, ie: they point in the wrong direction, which can lead to some odd problems, like blowing up if you try a runway take off, and your wingmen landing across the runways, at least for the old Yom Kippur campaign download. You may run into the same problem using the SEA.cat for this new campaign as well. The two terrain cats are different, so if your cat works with one mod, it might not work with another. The terrain files themselves are just tiles and you can replace them with others, but the cat files contain all of the elements like airfields, so the different .cat files can cause problems. Wish you could latch onto a copy of Strike Fighters Gold from GMX Media, or The Valuesoft version, because it's easier to mod if you have both SEA.cat and DESERT.cat. If you're willing to experiment, you might give it a try.

Can't say for certain that it will work. Both readme's say that the mods were designed for SFP, but, like I said, Korea works with the SEA.cat, so it might work. When it comes to a good terrain folder for it, you might try this link:

http://www.sfmods.com/terrain.html

Here you'll find Dueces' excellent desert terrain, which is based on the SFP tiles, if I'm not mistaken. You might try putting that into the terrain folder for Yom Kippur, then copy in your extracted SEA.cat and rename it Yom Kippur. One problem that I've encountered in the past using SEA.cat is that the airfields seem to be oriented wrong for the Mid East, ie: they point in the wrong direction, which can lead to some odd problems, like blowing up if you try a runway take off, and your wingmen landing across the runways, at least for the old Yom Kippur campaign download. You may run into the same problem using the SEA.cat for this new campaign as well. The two terrain cats are different, so if your cat works with one mod, it might not work with another. The terrain files themselves are just tiles and you can replace them with others, but the cat files contain all of the elements like airfields, so the different .cat files can cause problems. Wish you could latch onto a copy of Strike Fighters Gold from GMX Media, or The Valuesoft version, because it's easier to mod if you have both SEA.cat and DESERT.cat. If you're willing to experiment, you might give it a try.

I'll try it.Do I have to make it's own folder within the terrain folder for Yom Kippuor?

I'll try it.Do I have to make it's own folder within the terrain folder for Yom Kippuor?

Nope. You'll just copy these terrain tiles into the folder for Yom Kippur and let them overwrite. Like I said, you may still encounter problems, like improper airbase orientation, etc.