Sign in to follow this  
Hooper38

Demo Version of WoE is there?

changing over from Ace's High ,,,,,played that for 5 yrs ready for change .

want to test WoE before purchace any Help? :dntknw:

does Lock-On ..have close to the same graphics

Edited by Hooper38

Wellcome! No WoE Demo, I think, but you can try the earlier SF or WoV, as its the same game engine.

The SF series grafix are more simple and far higher performance, but you can mod them, or download infinite grafix mods here at the CombatAce. I am as "hardcore" as you can find, coming from FB/PF and the Su-27 Flaker series, but I enjoy this far more because of the totally unique middle Cold War aviation this sim focuses on.

While you can't get a demo of wins over europe, I believe strategy first allows a brief demo period on their Strike Fighters Project 1 downloadable version (never tried it myself but I remember posts from people seeking tech support on it). If you want to see if that works, try: http://www.strategyfirst.com/en/games/StrikeFighters/

Coming from Aces High, here is what you are going to lose:

Multiplayer is very limited (though fun for those who bother to try it).

Single player depends on AI, which isn't the brightest.

Stock flight models are distinctly different, but dumbed down quite a bit (kind of like playing AH with the newbie stall limiter turned on).

If you can live with the above, here is what you gain:

Nearly unlimited moddability: you can add hundreds of different aircraft and weapons, and if there is anything you don't like about them, you can change it yourself.

As I love F-4 Phantoms, I have spent more time playing Strike Fighters/Wings Over Vietnam/Wings Over Europe than I ever spent playing Aces High. There are plenty of WW2 addons for SFP1/WOV/WOE, but I prefer AH for WW2 fun.

Rather than reading posts on forums, why not spend $20 or $30 to find out for yourself if you can afford the $15/month for AH?

I haven't started hosting MP for WOE yet, but I am still maintaining a WOV server at HL for the moment. I prefer to have a merged install of WOV and WOE for the expaned planeset (available as a checkbox when you install WOE if WOV is already installed), so that is what I am going to host eventually. I suggest you get SFP1 and WOV if you decide to get WOE. SFP1 is $5 at Circuit City. WOV can be found for $10 to $20 at the usual BB, CC, and CompUSA.

While you can't get a demo of wins over europe, I believe strategy first allows a brief demo period on their Strike Fighters Project 1 downloadable version (never tried it myself but I remember posts from people seeking tech support on it). If you want to see if that works, try: http://www.strategyfirst.com/en/games/StrikeFighters/

Just bear in mind that that demo build is several major patches behind.

thank u for the help...downloading strike fighter now will check it out

i tried LockOn last night .didnt like the graphics on that one

as soon as i can find WoV in a local store here ,,,going to buy it

Edited by Hooper38

thank u for the help...downloading strike fighter now will check it out

i tried LockOn last night .didnt like the graphics on that one

as soon as i can find WoV in a local store here ,,,going to buy it

Just a tip, if you are like me and find the default SF control settings hopelessly sluggish or conservative, and the sim colours darkly Goth, you can ramp all that up to make a lightning fast responsive and stunningly brilliant simulation.

WoE hits the Best Buy today going to go get it

is there a calective patch or do i have to start at the low nimber and work my wayup?

i looking at all the Patch #s there a lot of them

:cool:

A-10 is my favorite jet...have a buddy that fly's one in the real world

Edited by Hooper38

WoE hits the Best Buy today going to go get it

is there a calective patch or do i have to start at the low nimber and work my wayup?

i looking at all the Patch #s there a lot of them

:cool:

A-10 is my favorite jet...have a buddy that fly's one in the real world

One word of advice once you have WOE and after you have installed the game follow the directions in this sticky: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=11836 and read any read me files very carefully it will save you alot of trouble.

There's only one patch for WOE. Here:

http://www.thirdwire.com/projects/woe/woe_patch.htm

I know all about AH flew over there for over three years myself.