Dave

Basic INI Editing: [FlightControl]

This section directly affects how the AI flys the aircraft, so getting this right is very important, even though with one exception these numbers do not affect the flight model directly. Here is an example from the A-6A flight model:

[FlightControl]

StallSpeed=59.46

CruiseSpeed=215.0

ClimbSpeed=192.9

CornerSpeed=195.5

MaxG=6.50

MaxSpeedSL=288.80

MachLimit=0.98

PitchDamper=0.85

RollDamper=0.40

YawDamper=0.20

GunBoresightAngle=0

RocketBoresightAngle=0

This is a good time to point out that all speed values in Strike Fighters INI files are in meters per second. Be sure to convert any data you have in knots, mph, or kph to meters per second before adding it to an INI!

The site I use for all unit conversions is: http://www.convert-me.com

StallSpeed=

The flaps-down stall speed of the aircraft.

CruiseSpeed=

The typical cruise speed of the aircraft.

ClimbSpeed=

The aircraft's climb speed. This one can be calculated from the aircraft's initial rate of climb, but I have found that this often leads to a value that is too low for the AI to deal with without stalling. I usually set this to 10-20% below the cruise speed to reduce problems.

CornerSpeed=

This is the speed at which the aircraft can achive its smallest turn radius. This data is often hard to find for some reason so you may ahve to make an educated guess. Should generally be around or below the cruise speed.

MaxG=

The maximum G the airframe can accept under normal conditions. We all hear stories of aircraft pulling much higher G than normal, but use the rated max G.

MaxSpeedSL=

This is the aircraft's maximum speed at sea level. This data is sometimes hard to find as a lot of spec sheets show the absolute max speed. Note that even aircraft with very high top speeds at high altitude such as the MiG-25 will have max speeds at sea level that are below Mach 1 or maybe just above.

MachLimit=

The aircraft't limiting Mach number. This defines the aircraft's absolute maximum speed. Under SP31, this will not only affect the AI, but apply a hard cap to the aircraft's top speed for the player as well.

PitchDamper=

RollDamper=

YawDamper=

These settings increase the stability of the aircraft about its three axes. Normally you'll only use values between 0.0 and 1.0. These three values are the only ones in this section that appear to affect the player controlled aircraft.

GunBoresightAngle=

RocketBoresightAngle=

These settings tell the AI what angle off the centerline must be used when firing rockets and guns. If the AI consistently under or over-shoots with rockets and guns, adjust these angles.

• Like 3