Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gramps

Gramps Russian Speech Pack

Guest Gramps

Gramps Russian Speech Pack

View File

Here is the only third party speech pack for Strike Fighters to date: it includes files that will turn your Strike Fighters experience "Red"! The files are freeware from the EECH Helicopter Sim, converted by me for use in Strike Fighters.

The Russian Speech Pack will replace all stock speech files, so it is highly recommended that a clean install of Strike Fighters is used for your "Soviet Strike Fighters Project" experience.

Now be warned - this Speech Pack is for immersion only. Whilst the phrases are actual Russian, and actual combat/flight phrases, the probably will not make much sense to an actual Russian speaker. Due to the different way SF builds a sentance compared to EECH, and my limited Russian, many phrases will be gramatically incorrect. No complaints from Russian speakers, ok! They sure sound good when you're flying a MiG though!

Also, the sound quality is not as good as stock SF speech, must be those Russki radios! And you'll have to read the radio chatter to know what's going on....

Installation:

1/ Back up your Speech Folder - or preferably do a clean install of SF for the Soviet Strike Fighters Project.

2/ Unzip the Gramps Speech Pack file. Copy the files from the Speech Pack folder and paste them into the Speech Folder.

3/ Go on a mission and defend The Rodina!

Also in the file is a new Russian mainscreen wav file:

The Soviet National Anthem (recently re-introduced by Putin as the Russian National Anthem). The file was a MP3 file from Timaham's Funet Russian Archive site, converted into WAV format for use in Strike Fighters.

This version is music only, I personally use a version by The Red Army Choir (also from Timaham's site), which was a 3.5MEG MP3 file I again converted to WAV for use in Strike Fighters. I had hoped to have this version available for download, but the MP3 came to 19MEG when converted to WAV - too big for me to upload unfortunately. If you have a sound editor and can convert files yourself, go to Timaham's site:

http://www.funet.fi/pub/culture/russian/ht...ges/soviet.html

and download this MP3 file and convert it yourself. There are also other version available but The Red Army Choir's version is the best, IMHO. As stated, SF uses WAV format files, and they need to be 8 bit stereo, and unsigned.

Installation:

1/ Back up your Mainscreen WAV found in the Menu Folder. The Mainscreen BMP is in a cat file, so no need to back up.

2/ Copy and paste both Mainscreen files from my zip into the Menu Folder, and you're good to go.

3/ I have made this WAV file to replace the stock mainscreen WAV file, if you like my file and would like it to play in other screens, just copy and rename to whatever screen you want the music to play in (such as BaseScreen, CreditsScreen, SingleMissionScreen etc.)

Enjoy!

Cool. It took a bit away from the immersion to be in the cockpit of a MiG and having everyone speak perfect english (darn KGB agents!)

Gramps,

Thanks for this one. Great mod, a lot of work involved, as I know from my BoB RAF Speech pack, it is appreciated.

Cheers mate :biggrin::good:

Baltika

The only thing we need is a plane specific chatter pack, so when you fly US or NATO you will hear english stuff, flying red planes you will hear gramps pack :-)

Not sure but could you point via nations.ini edit specific countries to specific speech packs?

Something similar like terrain folders, you have one main terrain folder with different terrains in it. That`s a good idea

Not sure but could you point via nations.ini edit specific countries to specific speech packs?

Since we can point aircraft sound wav to a particular aircraft.Why couldn't we point speech wav to a particular aircraft or better yet,nations?

When the spech pack is controled by a ini I don`t think it will be a problem to point to a specific speechpack in the data.ini of a specific plane. We should contact TK about this possibility, just only an option for us modder!

When the spech pack is controled by a ini I don`t think it will be a problem to point to a specific speechpack in the data.ini of a specific plane. We should contact TK about this possibility, just only an option for us modder!

Right'o Chap![insert your favorite accent here]

Just had a look at the NATIONS.INI file in /Flight folder, and there seems to be a flag which suits our purpose:-

[Nation004]

Name=USMC

DisplayName=United States Marine Corps

Alignment=FRIENDLY

PilotNameList=NamesUSNMC.lst

RankList=RanksUSMC.lst

CallsignList=CallsignsUS.lst

Formation.Fighter=USFighter

Formation.Attack=USFighter

Formation.Bomber=USBomber

Formation.Transport=USBomber

Formation.Tank=USTank

Formation.MobileAD=USAD

PilotTrainingStandard=EXCELLENT

GenderRatio=0

DebriefSuccessMusic=DebriefSuccess.wav

DebriefFailMusic=DebriefFail.wav

DebriefKilledMusic=DebriefKilled.wav

SpeechFile=USAFSpeech.cat <<<<-------------------- THIS ONE!

SpeechTextFile=USAFSpeechText.cat

Medals=MedalsUSN.ini

MedalTextFile=MedalsUSN.str

UseFAC=TRUE

[Nation005]

Name=Soviet

DisplayName=Soviet Air Force

Alignment=ENEMY

PilotNameList=NamesRussian.lst

RankList=RanksRussian.lst

CallsignList=CallsignsUS.lst

Formation.Fighter=SovietFighter

Formation.Attack=SovietFighter

Formation.Bomber=SovietBomber

Formation.Transport=SovietBomber

Formation.Tank=SovietTank

Formation.MobileAD=SovietAD

PilotTrainingStandard=NORMAL

GenderRatio=0

DebriefSuccessMusic=DebriefSuccess.wav

DebriefFailMusic=DebriefFail.wav

DebriefKilledMusic=DebriefKilled.wav

SpeechFile=USAFSpeech.cat <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<----- HERE IT IS AGAIN!

SpeechTextFile=USAFSpeechText.str

However, all the nations listed have that file set to USAFSpeech.cat, and I am not aware of any such .cat file existing in any version of the game. So perhaps this has not been activated?

Well, it could work the same way as other things...it doesn't find the cat file needed and simply uses what's available. After all, there are all the wav files, plus a SpeechText.cat file which simply contains a file call SpeechText.str.

I'd say use the cat creater to create a CAT file with all those wavs, name it as in the NATIONS.ini file states above, then delete (or just move) the wavs, and see if it works or just crashes the program.

FastCargo

Well, just tried it.

The good news, it didn't crash the program.

The bad news, it didn't work. Even going into the startup.ini where there are a couple of nice looking lines:

[speech]

DataFile=Speech.cat

TextFile=SpeechText.cat

And altering those didn't work...heck, even just trying a vanilla Speech.cat file didn't work.

Was worth a shot anyway...

FastCargo

for those that have not tried this one, it is worth it and easy...just install into a "blank folder"...then rename your current Speech folder like xSpeech (by hitting the F2 key, then typing in an x in front of the current name)...then rename the folder that you installed to Speech and drop into the main directory...cool indeed.

if you, like me, have been playing this game for over 5 years, then you must also be rather tired of "I've got your target"...

cheers

@FastCargo,

I rushed home from work today to try out the very procedure you described. . .

Too bad it doesn't work. But the lines must be there for some reason? Maybe it's something that simply hasn't been implemented yet.

We will see what TK has up his sleeve :yes:

It's surprising that this feature seems not really implemented, especially since the predecessor European Air War had speech for different services.

S!