Sign in to follow this  
Timmy

Draken Decal Help Needed

Has anyone had any luck applying decals to the outer wing positions on the Draken? I am reasonably new to the sim but I have never had problems with decals like I'm having with this J-35... I'm beginning to wonder if the fact that all the skins made for it have painted on national markings should be telling me something...

I can get decals to appear everywhere except the leftouterwing and rightouterwing meshes. Are they named something else? What in the Wide, Wide World of Sports am I missing here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Timmy

Has anyone had any luck applying decals to the outer wing positions on the Draken? I am reasonably new to the sim but I have never had problems with decals like I'm having with this J-35... I'm beginning to wonder if the fact that all the skins made for it have painted on national markings should be telling me something...

I can get decals to appear everywhere except the leftouterwing and rightouterwing meshes. Are they named something else? What in the Wide, Wide World of Sports am I missing here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Check the .out file to see if there is a inner wing and outer wing. If so you'll have to put the same decal on both with the same co-ordinates. I haven't got that aircraft so I don't know for sure, but it's worth a try.

Edited by Sidewinder86

Guest capun

Look for a file called something like "Third Wire Utilities" in the download section, it has the exporter, exporter notes and a decal tutorial from TK.

The Decal tutorial will tell you the requirements for decals and how to position them. There is a current limitation on 4 decals per mesh. A mesh being a part of the plane (see the .OUT file if available).

I was placing the decals on both the wing and outer wing positions to no avail but then I was told to look at the .out file by some intelligent gentlemen and realized that the outer wings were actually named "RightOuterW" and "LeftOuterW" for some odd reason. In the .ini file they are listed as "LeftOuterWing" and "RightOuterWing." After naming the correct mesh to lay the markings on - the decals now work like a charm.

Thanks gentlemen - your check is in the mail.

TD

Guest capun
I was placing the decals on both the wing and outer wing positions to no avail but then I was told to look at the .out file by some intelligent gentlemen and realized that the outer wings were actually named "RightOuterW" and "LeftOuterW" for some odd reason. In the .ini file they are listed as "LeftOuterWing" and "RightOuterWing." After naming the correct mesh to lay the markings on - the decals now work like a charm.

Thanks gentlemen - your check is in the mail.

TD

The mesh names are done in the 3D Design package (3DS Max), there is no standard nomenclature for the mesh names and it is left to the designer to choose.

Actually the ini file section names (LeftWing, RightWing, etc) were left from the original data ini files from ThirdWire but there is no requirement that they follow those names, You can rename them to anything you want

I've also been able to deduce mesh names by opening the .LOD file if there's no .OUT file present. Scrolling through it to find them does make your eyes bleed, however. But you will discover little things that can screw you up from one plane to another like: Right_wing_outer, instead of Wing_right_outer. Also, play with your positioning before you give up entirely, because sometimes I've had a decal suddenly peek out from under the inner wing mesh because math in meters was never my strong suit.