Sign in to follow this  
Jimbib

Question about vertexes in 3DS max....

This is going to sound probably a stupid question to the learned 3D modellers in the community but its something I haven't figured out yet in max. When using the slice plane tool to make vertexes across a mesh, I sometimes get vertexes that I don't need or want. The picture below hopefully illustrates this:

yumahelp1.jpg

My question is how do I "weld" the vertexes I don't want back into the mesh?

Thanks very much,

Jim

Guest capun

First of all, convert the part into an editable poly before you slice it, I think it is cleaner overall.

As for the extra vertices, are they just orphan vertices or are they part of a face/edge/polygon?

If they are orphans, you can just delete them. If they are not, you may try to move them closer to another vertex to see if you can weld them. Careful with distortion.

BTW, it would help if you can see the wireframe

An easier way is to go to polygon mode, select only the polygons you want to slice, and slice them in polygon mode instead of vertex mode

Why not just delete them with backspace?

I sorted out some of the areas by what you said capun, by welding them together. I had tried it before but it hadn't worked for me, I later realised that this was due to the small default threshold distance of the weld function. The reason that I have so many vertexes that are not needed is because I have made a lot of the ramp areas and taxiways out of many plane meshes. Below is a render of how far I have got and also a wireframe. I haven't converted it to editable poly mode yet, was in a rush when I took the shots:

wip3.jpg

wireframe.jpg

Edited by bibbolicious