Hi guys, I'm working on this one, someone asked for this "spacecraft" ?????

NO, NO SPACESCAFT

XB-70 The real BAD, B..BAD THING

What about you??

Oh, hell yeah!

I have openly lusted the Valkyrie for a long time.

being able to fly and fight it would be just exceptional!

Looking good so far, press right on!

:ok:

Man this is great news. I am slowly working on the right map... oversized to 1500 SF kilometers for strategic ops.

B-70 Map (Lake Baikal) :ok:

00.jpg

WOOOHOOO!!! Bring it on!! Good work man keep it up!!!

Don't forget that the flight model needs to be right!

Mach 3 Cruise at 75,000 to 80,000 feet, with the ship stressed to 3+ Gs.

This will be neat to fly.... :-) I have a question though, what weapons was the XB-70 supposed to have actually carried in the production bomber version? I take it that it also had some kind of ejection mechanism to push the bombs/missiles out of the bomb bay at such high speeds to limit the possibility of damage to the plane?

mmm, the development as a weapon system ended in 1959, so who knows what could or would have been eventually fielded. I wouldn't worry much about modelling fancy stuff -- just a simple bombay is fine opening doors or not we will never see them from the cockpit (alot different from the WW1 models) -- except the drooping wings as they ARE visible from long distances and at combat speeds. They are the largest moving surfaces of any aircraft made I think, so they will be the largest moving surfaces of any sim model. Interesting. GoHengo!!

A few SRAMs or maybe ALCMs, that would be sort of right for the era would it not? (if the B-70 had ever gone into production).

A few SRAMs or maybe ALCMs, that would be sort of right for the era would it not? (if the B-70 had ever gone into production).

Skybolt ALBMs, SRAM-like missiles, and Pye Wacket Lenticular Defense Missiles...

MKSheppard::

Pye Wacket Lenticular Defense Missiles...

Brutal. I read about those ideas for B-70 weapons. They will be something on the extreme end that I'll be looking into for my strategic moldings.

First heard about them here ~> http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app4/pyewacket.html

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

Hi all your guys,

This are some WIP picture about the B..bad thing I go ahead and now the challenge are the animations there will be time for upgrade the visual mod and ordinance now the problem is make it to fly..........

"I've got blister on my finger" said once Ringo!!!!! And I' ve tooo!!!!!

Wough Man ... those were the largest moving surfaces on any aircraft ever made, and they will be the largest moving surfaces on any combat flight sim aircraft model. Love those wingtip drops. AwSim.

mmm, the development as a weapon system ended in 1959, so who knows what could or would have been eventually fielded. I wouldn't worry much about modelling fancy stuff -- just a simple bombay is fine opening doors

The B-70's Bomb bay was sort of strange. It was one bomb bay divided into two.

From Jenkin's Valkyrie:

Although often described as a single 29-foot long weapons bay, there were in reality two separate 14-foot-long bays covered by a shared set of doors. The combined bay extended from FS1356 to FS1704. Using a pair of sliding doors on a single set of tracks instead of the usual outward-opening snap-action doors solved the problem of opening the weapons bay doors at very high speeds. The length of the track permitted only one door to be opened at a time. Moving both doors aft opened the forward 14 feet of the bay; moving only the aft door opened the rear 14 feet of the bay; the center 1 foot was unusable since the doors never cleared the area. This also meant that weapons longer than about 13 feet could not be carried by the B-70. In the closed position, the leading edge of the forward door was held tight against the step fairing of the fuselage by two interconnected hooks that engaged the fuselage structure. The aft door was locked to the forward door in a similar manner. It should be noted that the weapons bay doors on A/V-1 and A/V-2 were not powered and could not be opened in flight. The forward weapons bay contained the flight test instrumentation package while the aft weapons bay contained the air inlet control system equipment. A/V-3 would have had powered doors, as well as suspension and release equipment in the rear portion of the weapons bay for a single type of weapon for demonstration purposes.1

The weapons bay was sized to house a variety of bombs, including thermonuclear devices up to 10,000 pounds each, 20,000-pound conventional bombs, various smaller conventional bombs, chemical and biologial weapons, or up to two new air-to-ground missiles. The missiles were to have a range of 300 to 700 nautical miles and an accuracy of less than a mile; conceptually these missiles were much like the later AGM-69A SRAM. Other missiles (probably Douglas GAM-87 Skybolts) were to be carried on external hard points under the wings, along with additional fuel in external drop tanks.

The B-70's Bomb bay was sort of strange. It was one bomb bay divided into two.

From Jenkin's Valkyrie:

Although often described as a single 29-foot long weapons bay, there were in reality two separate 14-foot-long bays covered by a shared set of doors. The combined bay extended from FS1356 to FS1704. Using a pair of sliding doors on a single set of tracks instead of the usual outward-opening snap-action doors solved the problem of opening the weapons bay doors at very high speeds. The length of the track permitted only one door to be opened at a time. Moving both doors aft opened the forward 14 feet of the bay; moving only the aft door opened the rear 14 feet of the bay; the center 1 foot was unusable since the doors never cleared the area. This also meant that weapons longer than about 13 feet could not be carried by the B-70. In the closed position, the leading edge of the forward door was held tight against the step fairing of the fuselage by two interconnected hooks that engaged the fuselage structure. The aft door was locked to the forward door in a similar manner. It should be noted that the weapons bay doors on A/V-1 and A/V-2 were not powered and could not be opened in flight. The forward weapons bay contained the flight test instrumentation package while the aft weapons bay contained the air inlet control system equipment. A/V-3 would have had powered doors, as well as suspension and release equipment in the rear portion of the weapons bay for a single type of weapon for demonstration purposes.1

The weapons bay was sized to house a variety of bombs, including thermonuclear devices up to 10,000 pounds each, 20,000-pound conventional bombs, various smaller conventional bombs, chemical and biologial weapons, or up to two new air-to-ground missiles. The missiles were to have a range of 300 to 700 nautical miles and an accuracy of less than a mile; conceptually these missiles were much like the later AGM-69A SRAM. Other missiles (probably Douglas GAM-87 Skybolts) were to be carried on external hard points under the wings, along with additional fuel in external drop tanks.

Hi, this is very interesting have you got a draft about the opening doors system?

I need a help to understand it completely. This will be the next step after we make it fly!!!!

Cheers, Maurizio.

Hi guys, this is the only picture that I've found on XB-70 Bomb Bays if someone got one better please add it here thanks.

P.S. I hope You'll understand my "spaghetti" language.......

Maurizio

Lets say you wanted to open the front bomb bay.

Both doors would slide back to reveal the front bomb bay (because they're on the same roller set)

If you wanted to open the rear bomb bay...

only the rear door would slide back to reveal the rear bomb bay.

post-9204-1168474960_thumb.jpg

I have taken on the task of doing the data ini for this project.

So far, I have found very limited published data on the flight characteristics of this aircraft.

I am going to have to apply a lot of rules of thumb (which won't apply so well to such an unusual aircraft).

I also don't have any practice estimating inertia/moment/stability values.

My time is also very limited: I can only spend at most 2 to 4 hours a week on this.

It is going to take me awhile to get this done.

I hope to have a reasonable FM finished in time for the completion of the 3d model that can be further refined as time permits.

You can buy the flight manual online, I could try doing that and help you out with the FM.

Keep in mind this was a very hot rod aircraft. Combat loaded, it had a climb rate of 24,000+ feet per minute at full afterburner, meaning that you'd be at cruising altitude (75,000 feet) in about maybe 5 minutes, and from there on, you would cruise to the target at Mach 3. Please note, I say "cruise", as in the B-70's specific fuel consumption was actually a bit lower than the B-52s, despite it flying at Mach 3.

Apparently the -70 had a zoom climb capability to around 100,000 feet or higher, and could if you pushed the throttles up from cruise to max power, could get up to about Mach 3.4 :blink:

When i was a kid... my family used to go to WPAFB museum at least once a year.... the first thing I did when we got out of the car was go full tilt to the XB-70 when it was parked outside next to the main building and just walk under it and stare.

I think you all are doing a FINE job on this project... keep up the good work. I look forward to this with much antia..............say it .................say it .............. pation! :biggrin:

This is from The Manned Missile: The Story of the B-70 by Ed Reiss, published in 1960:

Finally White calls the Los Angeles Tower: "B-70, Zero Zero One, is ready to taxi." The tower clears him to Runway 22L. White releases his brakes.

To the white-coated ground crew from which the B-70 is taxiing, the plane is anything but a quiet cockpit full of instrumented nerve endings. It is a monster and a weakling, changing whimsically—and dangerously—from one to the other with the quickness of a suddenly sprung hydraulic leak or a short circuit in an electrical system. Now it is a monster, strong and awesome as its roar pounds into their stomachs and its foul breath fills the area with the stench of burned kerosene. In a moment, as the plane moves toward the runway and becomes smaller and its roar diminishes, the men feel a large emptiness. The great and beautiful bird they had worked on for so many months is no longer there; its concrete nest is bare. A strange and compelling feeling comes over these men. They know it was just an airplane that left them, but it seems like something more than metal. White taxis carefully. He feels as though he is sitting on the end of a giant steel spring; his gear is fully sixty feet behind him and three stories below, and each bump flexes him up and down gently but grossly. As he turns from one taxi strip to another he swings his cockpit well beyond the turn intersection and when he is sixty feet beyond, he swings the plane around. Now lined up on the runway, looking down the wide ribbon of concrete, White secures his brakes. He activates the automatic trim-for-take-off system, which positions his airfoils for maximum lift. Now he moves his throttles full forward-beyond the white line marked "minimum afterburner" to "maximum afterburner." The plane must go now: the brakes will not hold it and White releases them. The giant bird lurches forward as though startled by the fire in its tail and it begins to roll down the runway, slowly at first but with the impression of great speed. White watches his acceleration clock: in thirty seconds he must have a ground speed of 150 knots or his engines are not putting out full thrust of 180,000 pounds. "Clock's okay," says his copilot, and White next cornes up on the go-no-go point. This is the critical point in a jet take-off where the pre-computed equation of speed, distance, weight, runway temperature, and thrust says with mathematical certainty whether the plane will get off the ground before it runs out of runway. This is the point of safe abort, the moment when the pilot makes his biggest decision.

White now is flying only his cockpit, not the massive plane behind him or the billion-dollar program which is the biggest ever in United States air technology and the defense hope of the next decade. His world is reduced to the simplicity and the immediacy of one decision. One instrument tells him to go and six engines with one third the horsepower output of the Hoover Dam insist.

White rotates the nose slightly to ease the great stress on the nose wheel. White does not want to leave the ground yet: he wants to build up overspeed in case he loses an engine. At 150 knots he pulls back gently on his stick, increasing the wing's angle of attack to the air and giving it lift like a giant kite. He feels a slight rumble in the landing gear but he does not know whether this is low-speed gear vibration or runway vibration; he cannot be sure whether air or concrete is beneath his wheels. Soon the plane tells him; it lifts him off sharply. White must move quickly. The plane is accelerating at a tremendous rate and he must get the slow-cycling gear up before he exceeds the speed where the air flow would rip it off. He is barely off the runway and already his air speed is more than 250 knots. Now White reaches for sky; he pulls his stick way back to angle the plane on a sharp flight trajectory. Five minutes from the time he released his brakes he is at 25,000 feet. Now he trims the plane for real high-speed, high-altitude flight. Then powering himself into a 25,000-foot-per-minute climb he is soon up to 80,000 feet. He levels off in the strange, hostile, lifeless exosphere at the very threshold of space. Wisps of nacreous clouds hang above. Few men have been in this realm and those who have sometimes speak of the depression they felt when they reached it and looked down and saw geography instead of terrain, a flooring of one color and without contour. This is called the "breakaway phenomenon" by flight surgeons who believe it is the reaction to one of man's most deep-seated instincts, his atavistic fear of losing close touch with the only environment he has ever known.

White and his crewmen—copilot, offensive warfare officer, and defensive warfare officer—are alone at a frontier that can be found only fifteen miles from supermarkets and hospitals, schools and playgrounds. It is the nearest frontier to his doorstep, and the last one man is challenging.

The reason why this is so is not too obvious. The other frontiers could be conquered by uncommonly courageous men using relatively primitive equipment: skilled skippers navigated the oceans of the world in wooden sailing ships not much larger than the lifeboats of today's ocean liners; stubbornly persistent Forty-niners crossed the great prairies and the Rockies in rugged Conestoga wagons; Lindbergh spanned the Atlantic air in a Ryan monoplane less powerful than prewar automobiles; and Tenzing and Hillary conquered Everest with bottled oxygen and efficient personal gear. It was the men primarily, not the equipment, that achieved these milestones.

But the frontier which the B-70 is approaching, not the frontier of altitude but the frontier of the thermal barrier —the meteor-killing atmospheric oven—requires the most advanced technology and highest skills yet developed. Break-throughs in a dozen dark arts were needed so that engineers and scientists could think beyond and, eventually, Al White could go beyond the current "envelope of knowledge" and advance man to a new plateau of technical understanding and achievement. Raw, unyielding courage by Al White would gain little against this frontier. What was required, in addition to this courage, was the biggest single technical jump the aviation art has yet produced. What the Conestoga and sailing bark were to the frontiers of their day, the B-70 is to the frontier of its day.

Zero Zero One sits high above the earth, its wings resting on 95 per cent of its atmosphere. The thin air is as smooth as a poet's sea, and the mother-of-pearl cloud wisps are motionless. The morning sky above is weirdly dark, as wine-dark as the ocean of the ancients. And the patient stars shine. Looking out 350 miles to the hazy horizon, White can see Baja California and the Gulf of California to one side and Oakland Bay on the other. The sinuous shore line of California joins the two. The cockpit is dark and the sun's light does not fall in rays. There are no sunbeams in dust-free space; where the light hits directly there is brightness, but in the shadows there is darkness. It is so dark that the instrument panel must be lighted at all times. The cockpit is not quiet; there is a rumble from the ram effect of Mach Three flight. It is a rumble never heard by pilots before. The outside air is minus 70 degrees F, but it is not fresh air. The content of toxic ozone ranges from two to twenty parts in a million parts of air—many times greater than the amount that produces Los Angeles' acid smog.

The B-70 feels like any other large jet airplane, smells like all others with its sharp odor of metal and oil and electricity. To Pilot White the plane handles like other high-performance aircraft: it is alert and sensitive and powerful—perhaps a little more than others. But this is a different airplane, different in every important way. First off, it is different in performance—not merely better but different. From this spot in the California skies White could fly to New York in an hour and a half, to London in two and three quarters hours, to Karachi in three and a half hours, to Moscow in three hours. He would cruise at Mach Three, 2,000 mph all the way, and at altitudes between 80,000 and 100,000 feet. And he would do so weighing more than half a million pounds at take-off.

I splurged and got the flight manual for the XB-70 as well as a few others from the SFP1 time frame.

My stack of flight manual CD's is getting pretty tall.

I have only physically printed out a few of them since they take up quite a bit of shelf space.

I got the flight manual and the performance annex, which has plenty of useful data for making a decent flight model.

However, I also found a public NASA document which had some equally valuable information.

Now this is what I am talking about:

xb70aflightenvelopejw2.th.jpg xb70ageneralarrangementnp5.th.jpg

Stuart Slade:

The published figures for the B-70 are for AV-1, the first prototype, This had structural deficiencies and lower-powered engines that restricted it to mach 3.1 and 77,500 feet. AV-2 had more thrust and the fully-developed structure that gave it Mach 3.3 and 85,000 feet - only it was lost in an accident before it could be properly tested. AV-3 was the full-scale development prototype that would have been capable of the designed performance , Mach 3.4 and 90,000 feet plus. That's just about the limits by the way, no aircraft with conventional jets is going to exceed those limits.