Sign in to follow this  
Aladar

Airco Dh.2 for First Eagles

Airco Dh.2 for First Eagles

DH.2 by John 'Aladar' Dawson

FM by the incredibly helpful and talented Charles

Well folks, this is my first airplane for the SF engine, and I'm hoping it'll live up to the hopes of the community. It's been alot of fun, and I hope y'all enjoy it.

Read the Readme.txt please.

EDIT:

Thanks to BigBouncer, who posted a great tip for increasing FPS. If you don't want to redownload the file, open up DH2.ini in the readme and change CastShadow=TRUE to Castshadow=FALSE

It aughta improve the FPS. :)

Guest IndioBlack

Well, I love this aircraft. You have done an excellent job.

I really like the cockpit. In fact it's the first cockpit that I'm actually using. Normally I go for the iron sight, because the cockpit scale is bound to be a little unrealistic, and all the paraphernalia gets in the way of me seeing the bad guys. But this, with the grubby windshield and the in-your-face bullet-drum is just sheer nirvana.

When I'm flying this, at least the enemy AI have a chance. A slim chance, to be sure, but it does even things up and make me work a little.

I note that the AI are struggling a bit. And I note that when I start a mission, I really have to put hard-left stick to combat the torque. So if I was to pick at anything, I'd say this may be too over-the-top. But I'm flying hard model, and if this is realistic, then I'll take it.

You also don't get too many bullets before the drum runs out. And in a mission, I ran out of drums. Again, if this is realistic, I'll take it.

This is my aircraft of choice now. Thanks again for all your excellent work.

Radials are supposed to have more torque than inlines. The Camel, for instance required full right rudder to counteract torque while taking off.

47 rounds/drum @ 700 rounds per minute...Thats a full drum in a little over 4 seconds.

Guest IndioBlack
Radials are supposed to have more torque than inlines. The Camel, for instance required full right rudder to counteract torque while taking off.

47 rounds/drum @ 700 rounds per minute...Thats a full drum in a little over 4 seconds.

I thought that this was all pretty accurate. But I do worry about the AI controlling that torque - they do seem to be all over the place.

You see, this is a case in point for having simplified engine-starting modelled. When you get in the aircraft at the moment, the engine is already started, and the aircraft is already trying to roll onto it's right side. (Actually this is minor, I noticed my throttle was stuck above 0% when I was testing but now I've recalibrated.)

If you had an ignition switch modelled, you would switch that to ON, and then the Sim would model the prop being turned and then the engine catching. Some time during that procedure, you'd feel the aircraft starting to roll to the right, and you'd start to correct that roll with the rudder, and some stick. Then as you throttled up, you'd experience more tendency to roll, and correct accordingly.

Effectively, what you'd get is a gradual oncoming of the roll, rather than it being there the moment you get in the cockpit.

Great aircraft, though, for me. I love it.

Edited by IndioBlack