Sign in to follow this  

I am playing Wings Over Vietnam using patch WOV_sp051506a with the enemy and flight settings on normal. I am having a problem engaging air targets that have the red cone. I can cycle through radar range, select a target lock, get into range fire and kill except for those bandits that come up as primary targets and then have the red cone assigned to them. No matter what I do I cannot select these targets or lock them on my radar for either the Sparrow or the Sidewinder.

I hope this is a noob issue :haha: and it is quite obvious what I am doing wrong (and not a bug) but I need serious help. Thanks.

oyu must get your radar lock on an enemy target..I believe the insert or delete key is default for this then a yellow triangle will appear on target.Once locked you must keep your nose on target.

oyu must get your radar lock on an enemy target..I believe the insert or delete key is default for this then a yellow triangle will appear on target.Once locked you must keep your nose on target.

This doesn't help. As I said, I can lock onto aircraft except for those that are indicated with the red cone. They don't even show on the radar.

Edited by RangerX3X

any particular reason that you aren't running the latest patch?

This doesn't help. As I said, I can lock onto aircraft except for those that are indicated with the red cone. They don't even show on the radar.

The sim also simulates the uselessness of 60's technology so dont expect the radar to always pick everything up.

If you are having trouble getting on lock bvr then tilt your nose up and down until it appears on radar and dont forget to change the range - you should be in Search Mode too.

In visual range switch to the Boresight mode and move the target with the red box into your HUD

ps only the Sparrow needs a radar lock and early versions are hopeless close in!

Here is a great article by a former pilot covering the different radar modes in Strike Fighters - which apply to WOV 100%

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_061a.html

regards

The sim also simulates the uselessness of 60's technology so dont expect the radar to always pick everything up.

If you are having trouble getting on lock bvr then tilt your nose up and down until it appears on radar and dont forget to change the range - you should be in Search Mode too.

In visual range switch to the Boresight mode and move the target with the red box into your HUD

ps only the Sparrow needs a radar lock and early versions are hopeless close in!

Here is a great article by a former pilot covering the different radar modes in Strike Fighters - which apply to WOV 100%

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_061a.html

regards

Thanks - I was basically flying the game thinking of LOMAC not realizing how different the radar and target acquisition models are. Noob :rolleyes: