Sign in to follow this  
LloydNB

Belgian Camels. Colour question.

I hope someone can help.

I've seen a few profiles of Belgian Camels (principally Wings Palette) which seem to suggest that the underwing surfaces were a darker colour than the doped linen used by the RFC. I presume that the basic paint job would have been applied at the factory (in England) and that there is no particular reason why the Belgians would paint the lower surfaces.

Does anyone have the answer?

LloydNB

Edited by LloydNB

Lloyd, I've never seen a photograph of a Camel in Belgium colours....not to say there hasn't been one, or that they didn't use the Camel w/alternate camo scheme (maybe Bob Pearson came up for some artwork) ....it may be something that's just not well-documented. I know for sure Belgium used the Hanriot extensively, using the 'Bernard' camo scheme (I think).

As for the under-surfaces, due to my knowledge, all I can say is the under-surfaces may have been painted light-grey, as opposed to simply the clear-doped linen. I'm thinking that if there was a 'Belgium standard camo', I'd go with the light-grey under-surface. but I could be way off here.

You might want to start a thread somewhere at The Aerodrome. http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Dan San-Abbott may know the answer to your question.

Good luck, and let me know here if you find any info regarding this....I'd like to know, myself.

cheers, Recon3

Edited by Recon3

There is a restored Belgian Camel in the Royal Army and Military History Museum in Brussels.

There are some colour photos of it here (see bottom of page).