Sign in to follow this  
wh33lnut

Crash physics? Where are they?

I've looked on a number of forums for FE (which I bought today) for anyone with the same concern as me when it comes to the crash physics- These planes are made from WOOD! And hitting the deck at 160mph would absolutely dessimate a light aircraft, especially ones made pre 1918!

I'm flying with all game options on 'HARD', yet I can smash into the ground at speed only losing a wheel!?!? For example I would like to see the same crash physics as IL 2 Forgotten battles, where parts of the plane come off due to contact with trees, or airframe stress.. it makes for a much better experience overall, adding to the authenticity.

I was really looking forward to playing this game (Thank GOD I found it for £10 when it's £30 in other shops!)

Right moaning aside, is there anything I can do to make this game much more realistic? And are there any other patches apart from 'patch 2'?

-ALSO - I find I can fly straight through buildings, trees, and other aircraft on the hardest difficulty.

I know it's only a small studio that produced this game, but come on?!!

Very much awaiting 'Knights of the Sky' by the producers of the IL series....

Till then, what can I do to improve my involvement with FE? As CFS3's OFF is only marginely better in my opinion.

Thanks for your time, any help appreciated!! :rofl:

alot of the problems you are talking about were made better with the last patch,and they are being addressed by TK.

as for OFF...well I'm not a big fan of it,and I'll leave it at that.

As for being like IL-2..TK has said time and time again,this is a sim lite and you won't see alot of the things that you see in the bigger,large budget sims.

Guest Saganuay82

Well.

Trees and buildings are not real. They are only TGAs. TGAs that have no collision ability. So you can fly right through them without blowing up. Same as trees. Game wasn't built for it, just for looks. Now buildings that you target and can blow up, don't hit those cause you will find different results.

It is a "lite sim" which means it doesn't have all the shiny stuff of other sims. So not much point in complaining here of all places cause this is a user community. All of that has been brought up at some point and fixes that were able have been done and are here in the forum somewhere. Have a good browse around, lots of good info.

TK has his forum at Thirdwire. I am sure if you present a well laid out idea that he will read it and might reply.

Enjoy your stay.

is there anything I can do to make this game much more realistic?

it depends upon what you consider that it needs to be more realistic.

Interestingly enough it seems that real pilots rarely complain but see PC games/sims for what they are which is pretty divorced from the real thing. Indeed it seems that those with real experience of the particular aircraft in the jet games (as there aren't too many people with real SE5/DVII/SPAD experience) often comment favourably on the overall feel of the FMs whereas many of the doubting Thomas' have never flown 1 in real life

-ALSO - I find I can fly straight through buildings, trees, and other aircraft on the hardest difficulty.

I know it's only a small studio that produced this game, but come on?!!

As Sag say trees, buildings etc. are not real objects.

TK says that having 100% collision detection would increase the computer load & hence necessary system spec. considerably.

It is however, definitely possible to suffer considerable damage by flying into other aircraft & indeed the ground ...

At the end of the day these games are about having fun in a fairly believable setting - neither arcade nor "full real".

I agree that ground collision detection needs work. I've seen some planes smack the ground pretty hard and they bounce off and keep on flying. Solution? Shoot their wings off. They don't bounce so much then. :wink:

it depends upon what you consider that it needs to be more realistic.

Interestingly enough it seems that real pilots rarely complain but see PC games/sims for what they are which is pretty divorced from the real thing. Indeed it seems that those with real experience of the particular aircraft in the jet games (as there aren't too many people with real SE5/DVII/SPAD experience) often comment favourably on the overall feel of the FMs whereas many of the doubting Thomas' have never flown 1 in real life

It's not too far off from my first (real life) flying lesson btw..

Just thought I'd mention it!

if your hitting the ground surely thats pilot error...never had any problem with the mid air collision lost wings aplenty. Glad I bought the game even though it was at full £30 whack espeically now i''ve found such an active community behind it :)

Player to enemy AI collision detection works well. Those b*stards will fly right at you! AI to AI collision is not modeled according to TK the developer. Some AI planes tend to loop or dive at low altitudes and actually hit the ground before pulling out...sometimes with no apparent damage. Not really a "show stopper" as far as most are concerned. There is a lot more good going on in the game to worry about a few minor detractions.