Sign in to follow this  
mppd

A little too much acceleration on takeoff?

Has anyone else noticed that these birds tend to take off like a shot? Most can be airborne in 4 seconds. Any easy way to slow this down? Reducing engine line "ThrottleRate" in data.ini has no effect. How about increasing wheel drag a bit? I know this is pretty subjective, but drag seems less than I think it could be (like when descending to land). Anyone try a cross-control slip? Airspeed doesn't seem to bleed off much like in a real light single. Increasing all drag and increasing corresponding engine power to bring airspeeds back up would probably really foul up the flight model...and would probably not help the super takeoff abaility. Tried both normal and hard modes.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Druzolowski

You are right mppd....and solutions seem good idea to me.

As you suggest, increasing wheel drag probably will slow down takeoff. Not sure if there are reasons for the values used, I might try some changes here too.

Yes, all the planes retain energy a bit more than they should. Level flight is accurate, but retention in turning, descending etc is too good.

A couple of reasons why this maybe:

On descending, those doing FMs followed TK's approach (can blame him right?), and maybe for later war planes lowish drag is okay (?), probably could be changed for earlier ones. However, there could be real implications for the AI - I'll look at it for mine. But I'm glad you pointed this out, could also be a solution to another problem I am experiencing as well.

On turn etc, its probably to do with feel: increasing drag, plane feels tougher to turn, more sluggish etc. So this could be a gameplay thing. But worth looking at.

Good observations.

Edited by peter01