Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

F-104 Starfighter series Recon Pod

F-104 Starfighter series Recon Pod

This is just a littly quicky fix to create a generic Recon Pod for all the different Starfighters out there. It's alwyas bugged me we didn't have anything, and all the Zipper call for one in their loadout inis.

The shape is pretty generic, too. Rather bullet like, as it's based off the BLU-27 napalm canister. Since we don't actually have a proper shape, especially for the Canadian Vikon pod, this will have to suffice until a 3d modeler steps up and creates a real one.

I'm pretty sure I've got everybody covered, end user wise. You'll note the fairly complete listing of countries in the Attachemnt types:

USAF, ITALY, W_Germany, Norway, Japan, WP - this is for Pakistani and possibly Jordanian Starfighters - if you've created a country specific version for Jordan. I figgured it couldn't hurt to add it, right?

Dutch and Belgian users (of the Zipper, not players!) shouldn't have any problems loading it.

I've also included the layered psd file, in case anyone wants to mess with it. I think I got a pretty good 'sampling' of camera ports; 2 vertical, 2 staggered oblique panoramic. I mean, after all, it don't work anyway; its just for show!

Happy Photoing!

Wrench

Kevin Stein

Kevin,

The Pakistanis used their F-104Bs in the photo recon role in a very unique way in the 1965 war. The F-104Bs would fly in fast and low, pull up sharply over an Indian airfield, level out and fly inverted. The Back seater would just click away with his camera.

Dude!! That's insane!! :rofl:

Probably used an Kodak Brownie (like my mom still has -- 60 year old camera, probably would still work, if we could find 126 film!!)

Wrench

Kevin Stein

Dude!! That's insane!! :rofl:

yeah, had the same reaction when i first read about it :rofl:

highspeed.jpg

An F-104B flown by Flight Leiutenant Aftab Alam Khan of No 9 Squadron Sargodha, on a high speed reconnaissance mission over Halwara, on 9 September 1965.

In 1965, what gave the pakistanis the guts to try out such a method was the lack of Indian Air Force's ability to intercept fast flying F-104s. They knew that the lone IAF MiG-21F/PF sqdn was not fully active and was not fully committed to the war.

However, in 1971, the Pakistanis did not try using F-104Bs in such role and used Mirage IIIRPs instead, atleast the Mirage had a figting chance against IAF MiG-21FLs.

Edited by ghostrider883