Sign in to follow this  
Revvin

Anyone playing Battlefield 2 on the 360?

I bought this last year and played it a lot online, left it alone for awhile with other games around like Call of Duty 3 and Rainbow 6: Vegas but I've started playing it again and really enjoying it. I also have BF2 for the PC along with all the expansion packs but I much prefer the 360 version. There may not be as many players in the server, the maps might be a little smaller but I keep getting frustrated at the unrealistic turn speed on the PC because of the mouse control which I don't think is representative of a soldier carrying a heavy gun and pack. I also find that there is a lot of 'porpoising' in the PC version where players will jump then quickly move to prone and jump again making it even more of an unrealistic enviroment. Although being a mouse and keys guy since Wolfenstein I am getting used to the joypade but I feel it levels the playing field and it seems to have a positive effect on gameplay where players are less likely to break cover unless they know they can move because they know they can't use unrealitic movement or some 'l33t k3wl' script to get them out of trouble.

BF2 became stale for me....until a few mods came out for it....

Project Reality was really awesome.

can you get these mods into 360? I don't think so....

When you buy a console you're not buying it as a modding platform though, of course you can do that on the PC but sometimes its nice just pop a CD into the drive and play. As I've said in the thread about racing sims in the general forum while it is nice to be able to download mods it can have its downsides in finding compatible servers, players to play against and then keeping up with patches for mods and the game. I have Armed Assault but have spent a lot of time tinkering to get it running smoothly so I do enjoy just firing up the 360 to play and I still think the 360 version has the edge over the PC version, just my opinion of course.

Here's what America's Army is doing to solve the "Mod Issue"

There's a team of Beta members that test user created maps. Once those maps are approved and passed by them, they are approved by the Dev team and integrated into the next patch. They become OFFICIAL at that point and you can score Honor Points on them. Only maps can become official at this time whose to say what the future may hold.

It would be nice for games like BF2 to take user created mods and find a way to make them official, allow the 360 to download a patch for the game to include that mod. Modders would get recognition, and Microshaft and EA could make a dime off of it (charge for the upgrade) and maybe even give some back to the creating team. Point is, it CAN be done, but it would require the mod to be tested and integrated which requires people, money, and time. All this to make it RUN SMOOTHLY and INTEGRATE porperly with the original version of the game.

I'd pay $5 for a third party mod before paying $19 for a Developer add on becuase there honestly is mod teams out there that are doing just as good of a job as the developers themselves. Project Reality and Forgotten Hope are ecellent freebies.

Even with the mods, you should still be able to play a stock version, just like you can with the PC. Imagine the possibilities.

Fates

Here's what America's Army is doing to solve the "Mod Issue"

There's a team of Beta members that test user created maps. Once those maps are approved and passed by them, they are approved by the Dev team and integrated into the next patch. They become OFFICIAL at that point and you can score Honor Points on them. Only maps can become official at this time whose to say what the future may hold.

Is that for the 360 version of AA? if so thats a pretty good way of doing it and perhaps could be used for other games.

It would be nice for games like BF2 to take user created mods and find a way to make them official, allow the 360 to download a patch for the game to include that mod. Modders would get recognition, and Microshaft and EA could make a dime off of it (charge for the upgrade) and maybe even give some back to the creating team. Point is, it CAN be done, but it would require the mod to be tested and integrated which requires people, money, and time. All this to make it RUN SMOOTHLY and INTEGRATE porperly with the original version of the game.

I'd pay $5 for a third party mod before paying $19 for a Developer add on becuase there honestly is mod teams out there that are doing just as good of a job as the developers themselves. Project Reality and Forgotten Hope are ecellent freebies.

Even with the mods, you should still be able to play a stock version, just like you can with the PC. Imagine the possibilities.

Fates

I wonder if anything could be done with the XNA toolkit for the 360 to mod such games and offer them to the publishers for approval and then download? As far as mods go, yes you can play the vanilla versions of games without the mods but often you get a rush to play the mod du jour and it splits the online community, it certainly happens in rFactor online as you see a raft of servers dump good mods to load the latest mod released just to be popular.