Sign in to follow this  

After flying this game for a couple days for a total of about 8 hours, I gotta say the damage modeling is pretty poor. Using IL2 as a benchmark at a score of 10, this game is around a 3, maybe a 4. I get damaged by a missle. Afew holes, a missing airleron and elevator, and some smoke was as good as it got. I have seen the exact same damage on several screens now. Not very different.

I did a dive into the ground at a steep angle. All I got was this 2D explosion that quickly disapeered. No hole in the ground or even a burn mark. No debris flying thru the air, nothing else to tell me I was toast.

I did a belly landing just now that showed no ill effects to the aircraft or ground. It reminded me of an arcade game. Look, I dont mean to flame. Im stateing what I have seen in this game. In my opinion, it doesnt compare to present simulations that were out a year or more ago, not just in damage modeling, but also a number of key areas too. Like TCP-IP. I havent been able to join a game yet. All I get is a black screen and Im forced to cntrl/alt/del. This happens consistantly in Gamespy and Hyperlobby. And to not have a direct TCP-IP connection ability in a game today cuts deeply into its playability. I read a post were TK said they didnt even want to add TCP-IP unless we all voiced a desire for it! Our only way to connect is thru gamespy or Hyperlobby. Hyperlobby is cool, I have used it for IL2 but so far I cant get it to work even with the SF beta release. Besides, a direct TCP-IP connection gets rid of the program like Gamespy or HL running in the background and frees more resources, right? You gotta be kiddin TK...add the TCP-IP like the other games or you just wont compete. Lo-MAC comes out and this game will be forgotten, despite even the period aircraft that so many have waited for like me.

The aircraft look and feel pretty good. They are what keeps this thing afloat in my opinion. Espesially as the modders can do their thing and enhance playability. I do however have a problem with control sometimes. To be on the verge of a stall and start to roll almost uncontrollably at 250+ knots doesnt sound too authentic, though I may be mistaken here.

I dont know fellas. I feel like this game is still half done. It doesnt feel like a simulation. It feels like an arcade game, even set at max everything. I dont mean to grumble but momma always told me to, "speak my mind so you dont go out and smack somebody in a fit of temper." :lol: So I guess I vented. There, that wasnt so bad now was it?

Theres a program out now that will allow you to connect through TCP-IP, hopefully somebody can supply you the link, I kinda forgot it. The damage modelling I think is pretty good, though I'll agree that the ground collision modelling can be a bit spotty. I have hit pretty hard sometimes only to see the plane ricochet around, and back up into the air at a crazy angle. Then again, most of the time the modelling is great. If I do a belly landing, I expect the plane to not explode immediately, and I have had numerous occasions of doing a bit too low of a rocket run, only to pull out with half a horizontal stablizer missing, along with a coupla rocket pods. I'll certainly agree that the explosion effects are sub par for most ground effects, like bombs or when you auger in.

And as for the missiles, I haven't experienced any problems with it. Real missiles normally don't cause the plane to explode, but merely punch a couple of holes through it with shrapnel. Only hitting a fuel line or live ordinance causes the entire plane to explode.