Sign in to follow this  
GreyCap

Most realistic Enemy Skill Level

Ok the manual isn't to clear on this:

Skill of your opponents- Easy/Normal/Hard

Easy: Enemies aren't all that accurate, they'll fire less often and miss more. Below avrg ACM.

Medium: Opponents are slightly better shot at range and are better at executing ACM.

Hard: Opponents are seasoned veterans who pick their shots carefully and are fairly accurate. Dogfighting these enemies won't be an easy task.

I'm just wondering which one is the more 'true to life' for Soviet pilots.

Looks like on the other options (ammo usage, flight model etc..), Hard seems to be the realistic setting.

On the Normal setting my F-16's pick off SU-27's with relative ease, but on Hard I often find myself with a SAM up my tail pipe.

What do you guys think and which one do you use?

The AI has been a topic of discussion for a while. Most folks play on 'Hard' setting, which still can result in inconsistent AI. There are also levels of AI within the general 'Hard' setting...just tends to change the distribution amount.

FastCargo

Enemy settings on hard and the Uber AI mod found here at CA.

I would use normal when flying against the Soviets. Easy dumbs things down too much. Apart from the effects on pilot's abilities, tail gunners rarely fire. In campaign's the AI setting also affects the number of AAA & SAM objects placed on the map. On easy there are rarely any SAMs, if any, and few AAA guns.

There is a wide variety of abilities for AI pilots in normal. Often they are more difficult than pilot's generated on "hard". They seem to have a bit more self-preservation. On hard (esp with the UberAI mod) the AI pilots try too hard and often end up running out of airspeed making them easy targets. This is especially true with many early US aircraft which are not turn and burn fighters.

Just my experience based on flying in WOE campaigns.