Sign in to follow this  
tank03

My new hobby is getting pricey

A couple of weeks ago I said I found a new obsession; I acquired a '73 Honda cb350. I thought a couple hours in the garage and I'd be up and running- I must be an idiot. This is what I've had to do so far:

replace fuel lines

replace fuel petcock

rebuild carbs

rebuild front caliper

rebuild master cylinder

replace rectifier

replace battery

rewire a ton of stuff eaten by squirrels/mice (hours and hours of testing and tracking down shorts)

replace rear brake switch

replace points/ reset timing

change oil

replace plugs

replace throttle cable

I've gotten very familiar with eBay lately. I hope to wrap things up and be riding by early Oct. Just in time to start putting it away for the winter.

I originally said I'd probably have more fun tinkering with the thing than riding it, but I didn't expect this much work. At least come the spring I'll have something to look forward to.

A couple of weeks ago I said I found a new obsession; I acquired a '73 Honda cb350. I thought a couple hours in the garage and I'd be up and running- I must be an idiot. This is what I've had to do so far:

replace fuel lines

replace fuel petcock

rebuild carbs

rebuild front caliper

rebuild master cylinder

replace rectifier

replace battery

rewire a ton of stuff eaten by squirrels/mice (hours and hours of testing and tracking down shorts)

replace rear brake switch

replace points/ reset timing

change oil

replace plugs

replace throttle cable

I've gotten very familiar with eBay lately. I hope to wrap things up and be riding by early Oct. Just in time to start putting it away for the winter.

I originally said I'd probably have more fun tinkering with the thing than riding it, but I didn't expect this much work. At least come the spring I'll have something to look forward to.

Or you could try a Harley. :biggrin:

That wouldnt help Mannie, then he'd have to invest in oil drip pans and 30 wieght oil by the case... :wink:

Keep after it tank. It actually can be quite fun and therapuetic working on an old bike. The old Honda 360s were easy to work on for the most part too. Ive known several friends with them back in the bad old days. Ive been thinking off and on about an old Harley basket case if I can find one one of these days.

Edited by pcpilot

That wouldnt help Mannie, then he'd have to invest in oil drip pans and 30 wieght oil by the case... :wink:

Keep after it tank. It actually can be quite fun and therapuetic working on an old bike. The old Honda 360s were easy to work on for the most part too. Ive known several friends with them back in the bad old days. Ive been thinking off and on about an old Harley basket case if I can find one one of these days.

Yeah, it has been easy to work on. Everything is right there and it's the simplest electrical system I think I've ever come across. It's also old enough that everything is metal (not plastic) and there isn't a computer chip or digital anything to be found on it. That makes it easier as well.

Working on old bikes is alot of fun. One Suggestion though, if you have already replaced the throttle cable you might want to go ahead and replace the clutch cable also. You really dont want that to snap on you when your out riding. Have Fun!

Guest capun

I feel your pain.

I am trying to get my old bike running. A one-owner (me) 1981 CB-900F, I couldn't ride it for a couple of years (wife, kids, this hobby, etc) so I got the itch to get it running.

So far:

- Front tire won't keep air for a long time. After all this tire is probably 20 years old, not many miles but ..

- Very spongy front brakes. Probably just replacing the old brake fluid

- Non-operational Rear Master Brake cylinder. Ugh, need to take it off and rebuild it

- Won't run at low speed, need lots of choke just to keep it running. Probably the carbs got gummed with the old gas.

So I guess it's time to get the old Clymer's repair manual and start fixing things :(

:rofl:

LOL :rofl: