Sign in to follow this  
Revvin

RACE 07 demo released

Simbin has released a playable demo (multiplayer capable too - up to 24 players) of their new racing sim 'RACE 07'. Race 07 includes cars from both the 2006 and 2007 World Touring Car Championship (WTCC) as well as a retro 1987 WTCC series and open wheel cars from the Formula BMW and Formula 3000 championships. There will also be 'Radical' sports cars, Caterhams and Mini's racing on 32 real tracks from around the world. You can read more at the official web-site here.

The demo includes the following features:

• Alternative action camera for a greater sense of speed from cockpit

• Helmet cam view for open cockpit cars

• New driver animations with helmet visor Tear Off effects.

• New dynamic weather effects for helmet visors and windshields

• Customized skin support

• Multiplayer with up to 24 opponents, or fill up the field with AI cars.

You can download the 504mb demo here. You can also view a promo video here.

Sweet!

Looks like the added the ability to skin cars finally....personally, that was one of the major downsides to the first RACE.

Can't wait to see the helmet cam/tear off effects

This is also available on Steam.

Whatever option you take whether its the usual file download or through Steam you still have to run Steam anyway for the multiplayer aspect.

So far I like what I've seen. The cars feel more realistic to me over last years offering, graphically its improved a little. I'm not sure about the helmet cam yet as I've not had enough time using it until I sort out my TrackIR. The AI between the cars though is like chalk and cheese, the WTCC's seem ok but the F3000's speed out of the pit and will ram you and on the first bend at Brands Hatch they almost always go off on their out lap LOL. I'm sure this will be fixed for the full version though. I'm a little dissapointed by some of the negativity on RSC, not about the game itself really but its getting bad comments based solely on a persons dislike for STEAM or the lack of being able to mod aside from car skins. RACE was never going to be a fully moddable game and STEAM has been a part of RACE since its first release last year. I've had not issues with Steam and like the fact that with RACE I can fire it up, go online and join a multiplayer server without the usual mismatches you get with GTR2 or rFactor.

You and I haven't had issues with Steam, but many have. Personally, I think Steam is one of the best things since sliced bread...I love it! I love never having to switch CDs if I want to play something. But based on what I have read in the troubleshooting forums for Steam, I can see why some people are against it. And....of course, the majority of people against Steam are going to be the pirates out there who can't download games illegally now. I can also see why the whole mod thing could detract....one of the first things I do is dig through the files and start tweaking this and that. I am much more of a modder than I am a racer. But to say it sucks because you can't mod it is a stretch....RACE is a great game!

I was a long time moderator at RSC, and I liken the crowd there to be very close to that on SHQ....lots of trolls, lots of whiners, and lots of fanboys, and then throw in your very hardcore racers. So, though I too am disappointed to see talk like that about an exciting new game, I am really not surprised to see it from that crowd

You and I haven't had issues with Steam, but many have. Personally, I think Steam is one of the best things since sliced bread...I love it! I love never having to switch CDs if I want to play something. But based on what I have read in the troubleshooting forums for Steam, I can see why some people are against it. And....of course, the majority of people against Steam are going to be the pirates out there who can't download games illegally now. I can also see why the whole mod thing could detract....one of the first things I do is dig through the files and start tweaking this and that. I am much more of a modder than I am a racer. But to say it sucks because you can't mod it is a stretch....RACE is a great game!

I was a long time moderator at RSC, and I liken the crowd there to be very close to that on SHQ....lots of trolls, lots of whiners, and lots of fanboys, and then throw in your very hardcore racers. So, though I too am disappointed to see talk like that about an exciting new game, I am really not surprised to see it from that crowd

I too can understand why some would be against it if they have had issues but I feel its the same kind of emotive topic as Starforce (another CP I personally have had no issues with) but just like those topics you'll get fanboys from another community making a big deal of it when you know they never plan on playing the game anyway. FWIW I too really like Steam, it took me a while to get over the no hard copy hang up and maybe I'm still not fully over it but not having to change disc is great and the Steam platform continues to improve with stuff like the frinds list and in game messaging.

Modders have GTR2 and rFactor so its nice to have a game like RACE where you can log on and race without multiplayer mismatches. Also with a strict list of tracks you have a chance to master a few of them instead of in games like rFactor where you have so many tracks its hard to get to grips with unless you join a league and even then you have updates to those tracks rendering hot lapping void.

I'll still download mods for rFactor and GTR2 but I'm looking forward to RACE 07 for its own qualities (I wish they would do a linux dedicated server though :) )

Yeah, that's true....the mismatch thing is nice. Just jump in, get behind the wheel and race! No need to worry about having this track, which version of the track, so on so forth. That's one of the reasons I stopped racing online....the other being that I am a moving chicane!

That said, I am glad they are at least adding skin support. I always like racing something of my own creation rather than the boring factory team colors.

Yeah I like skin support, not sure how it works online yet , i.e if its like LFS where you automatically download skins but it is nice to race in your own colours (of course mine are nowhere near the standard of yours lol) This is especially true in the demo, I've just come out of an online race against a field full of identical SEAT's and BMW's. In LFS if you joined a server for a few races you'd get to know the drivers who were around your level of speed and be able to keep an eye out for them on the track by looking for their custom colours, far more immersive that labels above cars.

On a positive note the multiplay seems smooth though the practice session on the RSC server was dominated by one driver for all the wrong reasons - he drove up then reversed back down the pitlane at speed wrecking everything in sight thought fortunately he was booted for qualifying. Perhaps one day the online sim racers of the world will remember that the race is not won on the first corner, but then perhaps this will be my downfall as I'm not the fastest guy in town either and the first corner melee is where I usually make up a few places as I sit back and watch them spin out :)

I've DL'd this but haven't tried it yet. However, between rF, GTR2, GPL, and GTL, I don't know if I need another racing sim. :grin:

Everyone needs a new race sim, Jedi.

It's like saying "Do we really need a new Indiana Jones movie?"

Of course we do....cause it's just plain cool.

Ok, there's a slight difference between a game and a movie--I only spend 2 hours watching the movie, I spend a LOT of hours on a given sim. :wink:

In fact, of those 4 I've barely touched GTL. Less than 10 hours total since I got it...18 months ago? rFactor has had the most time, followed by GPL (over the decade I've had it), then GTR2. My older sims like F1C, NSR, and NR 2003 aren't even installed because of time!

There has been an update for the demo, just restart Steam and it should auto update.

Changelog:

Custom skins

- Enabled Custom skin support

- Added ingame reload of custom skin (CTRL-F5), the skin can be reloaded ingame without need to load the game again to check changes to skin.

Templates can be found here:

http://www.race-game.org/race07/down...ntemplates.htm

Custom skins guide can be found from:

\Steam\SteamApps\Your Account name\race 07 demo\CustomSkins

Dedicated server

- Enabled Anderstorp and F3000 in dedicated server

- Fixed driving aids limiting on dedicated server

Physics

- F3000 increased engine braking

- Slighty less understeery default setup for BMW 320si E90