I have never been any good at making decals. They almost always bleed, no matter how many alpha channels I adjust. I have a few skins I am working on. I think they will be very good. I can do the skins, but I need help with the decals. Anyone want to partner up on them?

Scrapper

post-19515-1189564021_thumb.jpg

Edited by scrapper

How much space are you allowing around the decal and the edges. Generally I give it a 10-20 pixel space to the edge of the document.

That has nothing to do with edges....you are safe with about 3 pixels from the edge....

That has more to do with the mesh than the decal right there...You may have to resort to painting that straight on the model

How much space are you allowing around the decal and the edges. Generally I give it a 10-20 pixel space to the edge of the document.

I have been making sure that there are more than 15 pixels around the edges. Alpha levels, resizing, nothing seems to work.

Scrapper

again....it has nothing to do with how much border you give, it has nothing to do with the decal....that bleeding you are seeing is caused by the 3D mesh itself.

The only way to cure it is paint the graphic directly onto the bitmap.

again....it has nothing to do with how much border you give, it has nothing to do with the decal....that bleeding you are seeing is caused by the 3D mesh itself.

The only way to cure it is paint the graphic directly onto the bitmap.

I know. That doesn't do it justice either, though. It comes out too blurry, Ho hum.

Scrapper

I think the problem resorts back to the max exporting. A modeler can either export the model with or without decals. When it is done without, this can cause some bleeding. I think.

Guest capun

Exporting with decals makes the file much bigger and it also causes other side effects.

For this problem here are some suggestions

- Weld vertices, you may have adjacent faces/polys but the common vertices are not truly common but are actually two vertices.

Select Ignore Backface, Select the vertex, Use a Weld Selected with a small number like 0.05 or 0.1

- Run the STL Check tool and look for errors. Try to fix the problems

- You can select the faces/polys where the bleeding is ocurring, detach them thus creating a separate mesh. Don't forget to link it back to the original mesh.

Like Capun and Paul said, it's not a decal fault, but 'open' meshes in the model. I've had it occur on several. It's just something we have to live with. Or try to paint it on.

Wrench

kevin stein