Sign in to follow this  
Brainless

Computer upgrade

Hi guys

Well I thought I'd just tell those of you who had been following my 'New System' posts and those who had kindly replied, especially Buff who has been so helpful, that I installed a new Sapphire 1950 Pro graphics card today with updated drivers and its very disappointing. Considering that the new card is ( I think 2.5 times) faster than my old one there seems to be little if any improvement in frame rates and image. Unless you guys know something I don't ( I expect you do) I wonder why I spent the bucks upgrading. I know that I am only waiting on the new stuff to come out so I can build a new better rig but unless I have not done something right - yes I did connect both power supply cords to the PSU and yes it all seems to run O.K. and yes the PSU is within the specified 450w rating- mine's 480, it all seems such a waste of time and effort. All day tinkering and evaluting for no gain. Don't you just love thiese machines!! :crazy:

Edited by Brainless

What's your CPU? I don't remember you mentioning it.

If it's too slow, it will hold the card back. Remember the card can only do as much as the CPU sends to it, and a CPU can only send as much to a card as it will take. In other words, either one can be a bottleneck. If your performance hasn't budged, you must have a CPU bottleneck. Try turning up your FSAA and AF settings and I'm guessing you won't see a performance hit--those are done solely in the video card.

what settings are you running at?

are you running at the LCD monitor's native res. or interpolated?

What's your CPU? I don't remember you mentioning it.

If it's too slow, it will hold the card back. Remember the card can only do as much as the CPU sends to it, and a CPU can only send as much to a card as it will take. In other words, either one can be a bottleneck. If your performance hasn't budged, you must have a CPU bottleneck. Try turning up your FSAA and AF settings and I'm guessing you won't see a performance hit--those are done solely in the video card.

CPU? See my first post in the 'New System' series of posts. It's an AMD Athalon 64 3700+ (2.4 Ghz)I believe.

what settings are you running at?

are you running at the LCD monitor's native res. or interpolated?

Err..... now you've lost me :blush::blush:

What is interpolated and how would I know and what settings do you mean?

I think there is now some very slight improvement in the image definition. I think the system has sort of tuned itself a bit. Would this be right?

Err..... now you've lost me :blush::blush:

What is interpolated and how would I know and what settings do you mean?

Your Iiyama LCD has a native resolution of 1280 by 1024.

From Wikipedia:

"While CRT monitors can usually display images at various resolutions, a LCD monitor has to rely on interpolation (scaling of the image), which causes a loss of image quality. An LCD has to scale up a smaller image to fit into the area of the native resolution. This is the same principle as taking a smaller image in an image editing program and enlarging it; the smaller image loses its sharpness when it is expanded. This is especially problematic as most resolutions are in a 4:3 aspect ratio (640×480, 800×600, 1024×768, 1280×960, 1600×1200) but there are odd resolutions that are not, notably 1280×1024. If a user were to map 1024×768 to a 1280×1024 screen there would be distortion as well as some image errors, as there is not a one-to-one mapping with regards to pixels. This results in noticeable quality loss and the image is much less sharp."

Basically, running at a resolution other than the native one has a negative affect on performance/quality.

As for settings I was asking what resolution you are running at & what level of anti-aliasing & aniso that you are using.

Possibly your in-game settings can be tweaked as well now that you have a better card.

I used to have a 3700 myself. Now I have a 2.8GHz FX-57. When I had my 3700 and an X800 XT, I upgraded the 2 about a month apart. I can't remember what I did first, I think it was the CPU, but I saw pretty much no improvement until I upgraded the other as well.

In other words, the 2 were well-suited to each other in speed and whichever I chose to upgrade first didn't matter as the other would hold me back until it too was upgraded.

Your Iiyama LCD has a native resolution of 1280 by 1024.

From Wikipedia:

"While CRT monitors can usually display images at various resolutions, a LCD monitor has to rely on interpolation (scaling of the image), which causes a loss of image quality. An LCD has to scale up a smaller image to fit into the area of the native resolution. This is the same principle as taking a smaller image in an image editing program and enlarging it; the smaller image loses its sharpness when it is expanded. This is especially problematic as most resolutions are in a 4:3 aspect ratio (640×480, 800×600, 1024×768, 1280×960, 1600×1200) but there are odd resolutions that are not, notably 1280×1024. If a user were to map 1024×768 to a 1280×1024 screen there would be distortion as well as some image errors, as there is not a one-to-one mapping with regards to pixels. This results in noticeable quality loss and the image is much less sharp."

Basically, running at a resolution other than the native one has a negative affect on performance/quality.

As for settings I was asking what resolution you are running at & what level of anti-aliasing & aniso that you are using.

Possibly your in-game settings can be tweaked as well now that you have a better card.

Well thanks for that. As far as I can make out from the Iiyama manual I'm running in the native image. It says 1280 x 1024 which is what I'm using.

As for the other settings they are in default at present. Perhaps you can advise better settings?

I used to have a 3700 myself. Now I have a 2.8GHz FX-57. When I had my 3700 and an X800 XT, I upgraded the 2 about a month apart. I can't remember what I did first, I think it was the CPU, but I saw pretty much no improvement until I upgraded the other as well.

In other words, the 2 were well-suited to each other in speed and whichever I chose to upgrade first didn't matter as the other would hold me back until it too was upgraded.

Thanks for the info. This is something which I had already considered but my 754 chip can't be upgraded further so far as I know.

Ouch, you've got a 754? Yeah, I think you're stuck there.