Sign in to follow this  
drdoyo

The very first jets I worked on as a mechanic.

Flt, and anyone else interested, I started a thread with the formation.ini edits in this section.

On to the update. The wings are done, and the tail is ready for minor tweeking. I also corrected the beef-up plate on the stabilators. Next I'll create the layered templates for the two fuselage parts. On to the screens :wink:

If you can see the red outline on the chaff/flare dispensors your following too close

The tails

Hey Drdoyo, ever have a phantom bite on your head?

Hey Drdoyo, ever have a phantom bite on your head?

LOL no but I was really close once, a fraction of an inch. I learned my lesson by getting bitten by an FA-18. Don't talk to someone behind you while walking towards the jet!!! That stabilator trailing edge IS at forehead level with the hydraulics depressurized. I had a red line for 3 days. :haha:

I had a red line for 3 days. :haha:

Ouch!! Talk about leaving a mark...

My dad used to work on F-104s...they had to put gloves on the wings because guys were getting cut, sometimes badly, around them.

Planes are can be dangerous even sitting still with no power... :yes:

FastCargo-HWG

A quick update, ...

The red mark is gone......Um, Oh, sorry. The Jet! :haha:

No pics this time. Just wanted to say....

TWO WEEKS :biggrin:

OK, I'm in the process of releasing this one. The problem is I uploaded it to the wrong section. It should have gone into the Aircraft Skins section. I uploaded it to the new aircraft section by mistake.

My first jet I crewed in the USAF (summer 1982) was 69-356.

The aircraft was an F-4E Phantom II and I was the Assistant

Dedicated Crew Chief. Was kinda cool to see my name and rank

stenciled on the rear canopy rail right side.

Stationed at Moody AFB Valdosta, GA May 1982 - Feb 1984.

My first jet I crewed in the USAF (summer 1982) was 69-356.

The aircraft was an F-4E Phantom II and I was the Assistant

Dedicated Crew Chief. Was kinda cool to see my name and rank

stenciled on the rear canopy rail right side.

Stationed at Moody AFB Valdosta, GA May 1982 - Feb 1984.

Hey MrCraig41, I have a question for a crew chief to answer. Am I mistaken that the red light in the vertical stabilizer flashed? I seem to recall that it did but the years have dulled the memory. I do know that the white light at the aft tip of the fin cap is missing. Just a couple more ini edits I'm thinking of.

Yes it did. Also the white lights on the trailing edge of the vertical stab pulsed in unison

with the red one (they pulsed instead of flashing). The red light casing had two bulbs

inside of it. I remember climbing up onto the jets backbone and shuffling carefully

up to it. Changed many of those things during countless swing-shifts on the flightline.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...I_in_flying.jpg

(347th TFW)

The Phantoms were still painted just like this example when I arrived at Moody during

the summer of 1982. Ironically, the Phantom in this shot was at Moody as well and if I

remember correctly, it was the Wing Commanders jet. You can see the red anti-collision

light just below the so-called 'bellows' probe. Man this brings back memories!

Craigster

Also the white lights on the trailing edge of the vertical stab pulsed in unison

with the red one (they pulsed instead of flashing). The red light casing had two bulbs

inside of it.

Thanks for confirming that. I was sure it had 2 bulbs and was going to mod the ini accordingly. I didn't remember the white light pulsing though. I'll work that in as well :good:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...I_in_flying.jpg

(347th TFW)

The Phantoms were still painted just like this example when I arrived at Moody during

the summer of 1982. Ironically, the Phantom in this shot was at Moody as well and if I

remember correctly, it was the Wing Commanders jet. You can see the red anti-collision

light just below the so-called 'bellows' probe. Man this brings back memories!

Craigster

That looks like the skin that MPPD worked up :wink: . Do you have any more info on serials and other wing markings?

I'm beginning a three day trip for work today so when I get back I'll do the documentation for the layered templates and try to get them uploaded.

THANKS to USAFMTL, HrntFixr, and Fubar and anyone else who may have been invilved for fixing my upload mistake with the skins. :ok: