Sign in to follow this  
peter01

Why did the RFC prefer wing mounted Lewis guns?

Obviously on Nieuports at least, and can imagine some reasons for this, and drawbacks, but don't really know.

Any thoughts?

Edited by peter01

Alkan synchronizer I believe was the reason (so I have read)

The early Alkan (Nie16) wasn’t reliable in testing by the RFC and there were a number of crashes from synchronizer failure

So they gave up on it and stuck with the Forster :sorry:

French seem to have persisted and the later Alkans (Nie17+) were more reliable

Alkan synchronizer I believe was the reason (so I have read)

The early Alkan (Nie16) wasn’t reliable in testing by the RFC and there were a number of crashes from synchronizer failure

So they gave up on it and stuck with the Forster :sorry:

French seem to have persisted and the later Alkans (Nie17+) were more reliable

Okay, thanks, didn't know that of that particular problem ..... crashes from shooting propellers off?

Could it also have been ROF, especially in the early days? Interrupter gear would have been more problematic at higher ROFs, the solution would be to reduce, at cost of firepower, I guess.

Maybe the Lewis was lighter too?

It seems that mounted on a wing it would induce drag and generally effect aerodynamics, harder to aim, harder to reload, more reloads then vickers, etc so just thinking maybe there were many reasons combined why the rfc preffered this, at least to 1917?

But my main reason for asking is the ROF. TK has put values for spandaus of 450rpm, 550 vickers, 700 Lewis. Tho these are reasonable (maybe Lewis a bit low, as unsynchronised usually?) I suspect that until sometime in 1917, the Vickers synchronised would have been a good deal less than 550.

Don't really know, hence post.

Edited by peter01

Hey ya Peter

this page for windsock special 1, says it was just a HQ directive

rfclewisguns.jpg

Several accounts mention that some pilots liked to sneak up and use/fire the upper Lewis on the underside of unsuspecting foe. Same with the Dolphin Lewises later on, tho many removed those for the weight...

bishop_lewis.jpg