Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alligator Devil

How many nieuports ?

Guest Alligator Devil

I just downloaded a pdf from here:

www.hydroretro.net/etudegh/les_nieuports_de_la_guerre.pdf

It's strange, some Nieuports 17 have a plain fuselage but others have a more rounded fuselage, so i suppose there were small variations of the same models. Or hybrids with parts of different models.

Does somebody knows a place with exact information about squadrons and airfields in WW1 ??

In the last pic of the pdf there are a few Nieuports from the USA service that look like N17 or even N11 but the pic is from May 1918. It's supposed that the N11 and 17 were retired from service before 1918, isn't it ?

I just downloaded a pdf from here:

www.hydroretro.net/etudegh/les_nieuports_de_la_guerre.pdf

It's strange, some Nieuports 17 have a plain fuselage but others have a more rounded fuselage, so i suppose there were small variations of the same models. Or hybrids with parts of different models.

Does somebody knows a place with exact information about squadrons and airfields in WW1 ??

In the last pic of the pdf there are a few Nieuports from the USA service that look like N17 or even N11 but the pic is from May 1918. It's supposed that the N11 and 17 were retired from service before 1918, isn't it ?

I'm pretty sure once a plane was retired from frontline duties they were used as trainers and comunications planes for quite some time.

this page has some interesting stuff about nieuports.

http://mars.ark.com/~mdf/nieuport.html

The faired fuselage came in with the Nie17bis and was used in the 24 and 27 after that

and numerous other variations that were all essentially related to the Nie17 which was in turn “pretty” similar to the 11(bebe) and the 16

Confusingly the Nie23 was made before the Nie17bis and had the unfaired fuselage (but other small changes)

The 17 and its derivatives were being used on the A-H/Italian front in 1918 (I think)

and given the unhomogenized state of unit aircraft in WW1 I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they were still around in 1918 on the western front…

(especially given the later arrival of the US with no aircraft of its own….)

pity we can't give the knownAce thingy their own aircraft type to reflect this...

Its such a evocative feature of WW1 IMHO (dissimilar aircraft in the same unit)

This site here has a great breakdown of the British airfields/aircraft/squadrons

http://clubweb.interbaun.com/milesc/oob1.html

I’ve never found an equivalent for the other nations :(

hope that helped a little

Edited by p10ppy

Guest Alligator Devil

Thanks for the link poppy, very informative !!! AWESOME LINK

and very usefull to customize campaigns with accurate historic background !!! :ok:

And thanks for the info about the nieuport 17bis fuselage, i was confussed looking at the pics because the N17bis fuselage is VERY similar to the Nieuport 23, 24, 27 series.

And thanks, whiteknight, yes the link you provided have good information about Nieuports but that's not what i was looking for.

Edited by Alligator Devil