Here is an odd issue.

I've loaded every carrier and ship out there (not much surprise there!) and have built a number of carrier missions as well as added them to some of the campaigns.

sometimes they work and sometimes they show up, but as the plane launches it blows up.

I've noticed this with the KM carrier in some terrains, but not others. If I build a mission in the EAW WWII terrain, the plane blows up on deck or after it lands. Putting this mission into the Tunisia terrain, no problem.

also loaded the Australian carrier campaign addition for WOV. The ships all show up great, the planes are on deck ready to go Downtown and lay waste to the Infidels. until the end of the cat stroke when they are "shot down".

put the carrier into a single mission that works with other carriers (like the Ark Royal) and the same thing happens.

any ideas? is it a nations ini issue within the terrain perhaps?

There was a question about 'Melbourne' over on SimHQ just the other day. Gramps put the package together, but I did a quick test with the version of the ship I have (in the test mission I use.............. using the vanilla SF terrain)................. and no problems taking off (haven't tried landing).

So at this point, I'm not really sure what's going on............... whether it's a terrain issue, or something to do with the ship's data.ini.

I had the same issue on some missions I built. A couple of things I worked on:

I do not know why it would make a difference but I found that with most carriers a two-aircraft flight is okay. If I put four aircraft on them, even if there are four cats, the planes did exactly what you said. I am not sure how many aircraft you have in the flights but you might experiment with that and see if it helps.

It may also be that your departure point is too close in. I have found that a reasonably distant departure point dead ahead of the carrier's direction, at a decent height and a good airspeed - say, 2,500 metres and 250-300 knots - stops the aircraft blowing up.

I am not sure why any of this makes a difference but it just did for me.

I had the same issue on some missions I built. A couple of things I worked on:

I do not know why it would make a difference but I found that with most carriers a two-aircraft flight is okay. If I put four aircraft on them, even if there are four cats, the planes did exactly what you said. I am not sure how many aircraft you have in the flights but you might experiment with that and see if it helps.

It may also be that your departure point is too close in. I have found that a reasonably distant departure point dead ahead of the carrier's direction, at a decent height and a good airspeed - say, 2,500 metres and 250-300 knots - stops the aircraft blowing up.

I am not sure why any of this makes a difference but it just did for me.

I'll double check that - but it happens using a standard test mission that I've built and use successfully with other carriers and planes. This problem is unique to the Melbourne so far in the Vietnam terrain (campaign) and Bering St (single mission) as well as the KM carrier in the EAW WWII terrain. Hasn't happened with any other carrier and just to test the missions, I'll substitute carriers and planes without changing the other parameters. So far limited to only these two.

I'll double check that - but it happens using a standard test mission that I've built and use successfully with other carriers and planes. This problem is unique to the Melbourne so far in the Vietnam terrain (campaign) and Bering St (single mission) as well as the KM carrier in the EAW WWII terrain. Hasn't happened with any other carrier and just to test the missions, I'll substitute carriers and planes without changing the other parameters. So far limited to only these two.

found it. I had a printout from some months ago that included a number of carrier items within which was a quote from avsim that included the details on the Melbourne.

I plugged in the updated numbers and now it works great, the Australian Carrier campaign within Line Backer II now works too.

I'll upload the adjusted data.ini file for the Melbourne.

Edited by Typhoid