Sign in to follow this  
Lexx_Luthor

umm... .. ... wow ... .. (thanks to GEPARD)

Saw this in Gepard's tutorial here at the CombatAce...

Gepard::

Terrain Map Size 1000 km

Texture Tile resolution 2000 m

Heigh Field Resolution 500 m

( REMARK: You can change the Terrain Map Size freely without

problems. I think 1000 - 1500 km large terrain are the optimum. You

can make it smaller or bigger, but i think 1000 km is a good mix

between size and density of targets.

Texture Tile resolution tells us the size of each terrain texture tile on the

map. 2000 m means, that on single texturetile on the map covers a

square of 2 x 2 km. This is the standard setting for SFP1, WOE and

WOV. The WWI sim FE use 500 meters. But if you try 500m in the

Jet sims, you will seen that the fps rate is dropping down dramaticaly.

The reason is, that the visibility range of FE is much lower than in

SFP1,WOV or WOE. If you use the FE settings, at the moment the

computers are to slow to handle it. I had tried it and got a unplayable

fps rate of 5 or 6.)

~~> from LESSON 3: Basic Terrain ~ http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=26340

4000 "SF" kilometers. Texture tile resolution waaayy oversized at 5000m to fit the complete map into the TE screen.

gallery_6973_124_5463.jpg

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

Saw this in Gepard's tutorial here at the CombatAce...

Gepard::

4000 "SF" kilometers. Texture tile resolution waaayy oversized at 5000m to fit the complete map into the TE screen.

Yes, this is fantastic. I never knew how to adjust height fields and never saw it before in a previous tutorial.

This is so invaluable.

Edited by HrntFixr
DO NOT re-post images in your reply!

This is great stuff.

In game, I'm having bad texture problems with texture resolution greater than 2000m which is default for The JetSims, so that's what I experiment with now.

Setting height field resolution to 1000m turns this into an 8000km map, which is closer to real size. I assume the entire top edge of the map is the North Pole under infinite distortion. The bottom of the map cuts Taiwan in half vertically. Using Google Earth, I measure 7400km from the center of Taiwan to the North Pole. Close. Terrain Editor says 8000km. Now how to get it closer?

Nap, just tried it, and its a pain...too large.

And it takes about 5 minutes to import, and maybe 12 minutes to texture. Never mind about 3 minutes to load the mission. And...

HFD file is 122MB. TFD file is a whopping 183MB. I may stick with the "SF" sub~scale philosophy and make it 4000km. I tried that earlier and it works easy.

Something like this raw bmp (converted to smaller jpeg here) exported from Terrain Editor's height map...

This is 4800 "SF" kilometers square eating two complete gtopo30 panels east/west. I'm using 60E and 100E so this is 80 degrees wide.

I got an extra 500km beyond the North Pole by cutting and dragging the map down over the southern edge where I don't need the lattitudes of Thailand or southern India. What I'd like to do is approximate, very roughly, a polar projection for the northern USSR. This may be possible by taking advantage of the somewhat featureless northern Siberian terrain across three similar mappings, re-sizing them to 50% width (keep 100% vertical), and pasting them above southern Siberia. Then, maybe rotate these re-sized images some, curving them so they form part of a circle around the North Pole point in red dot here. Then import the full size (9600 x 9600) bmp file into Terrain Editor.

Siberia-0.jpg

Edited by Lexx_Luthor