Sign in to follow this  
peter01

WIP #3 - Campaigns

Included in download with FMs are 5 campaigns.

Done initially just to use add-on aircraft, using TKs Cambrai campaign as a base, I started improving and changing them over a couple of months. But they are based on Tks work, and as I just wanted to get as many add-on planes into campaigns as possible, there not done say with the detail perhaps of Charles or Firecages work. But have made considerable changes to make them enjoyable - types of missions, difficulty, known aces, staggering arrival of squadrons, quite a few things.

They are not entirely historical :), of course. Tanks arrived early on the Western front, there is a scarcity of ground targets. Aces are included, but not necessarily in their correct squadrons or time. But some are. Squadron numbers of course are not completely accurate, Jasta 11 starts in march 1916 etc. AFC wasn't formed until 1918...but you get the picture.

They are not entirely complete...some text I was going to add to set the scene isn't compplete, you'll know what I mean.

Basically the campaigns cover the air war from 1916 to 1918, with 60 different squadrons, and about 40-50 different flyable planes. campaigns are generally about 18 missions long, over about 30 to 40 days. You generally don't get upgrades, the plane you start in you normally finish with as well. But, want to fly the Bristol M1c in a campaign? Its there. I won't list which ones - just too many.

Difficulty varies considerably even within the one campaign. For example it depends on the plane you fly, the side you choose (Germans are often a lil' easier, they do more missions over their own lines), your main opposition (varies with different bases, some opposition is quite tough), the quality of your squadron, the missions that plane or squadron does. Sometimes you will have trouble surviving the first mission, or your squadron will get decimated. Sometimes you and your squadron rule the skies (but still with tough opposition).

The missions cover all types, but with a strong bias to fighter operations. Some planes, generally those historically in that role, will do more army coop, armed recon, strikes . These missions work, but you will need to manually do loadouts. The game doesn't do it for some reason. Other planes do more balloon busting (those with Le Prieurs, balloons have been toughened, you need them).

I've been playing these for over a month, and well, they are a blast. Probably partly because of the above, partly because you can easily start and continue several campaigns with different planes simultaneously, and partly (a large part IMO) because of the AI. More on the AI later, and how to easily tailor it to your liking, BUT this time round, the AI have been optimised to maximise the campaign experience.

Have developed some liking for doing campaigns, may do others in the future. I'm surprised now that there aren't many more done by the community.

They are developed for Oct 2007 EP version. It will be a different experience in the April 2008 version. It will not work well if you mix stock fms with those in this download at all - the ai are completely different, you will get some very funny results.

Edited by peter01

Many thanks again Peter01!

There is a lot to enjoy in this sim. I am amazed you have time to do all you do and still fly as much as you seem to.

I hope to be among the first to DL these.

sinbad

Many thanks again Peter01!

There is a lot to enjoy in this sim. I am amazed you have time to do all you do and still fly as much as you seem to.

I hope to be among the first to DL these.

sinbad

Couldn't have said it better myself!!

Good to see more campaigns otw to FE. I tend to play mostly all the campaigns and hardly ever do single mission.

I know how good the work is you normally do so I can't wait to get hold of your released work :clapping:

I already took a guess at which FMs you finished and have a new release of the Cambrai Fest waiting to see how well I guessed. I think I will keep the 2 seperate so there will be (1) full war campaign and (1) later war (starting around the Halbs/Albs era) so people who like the later war planes don't have to start with early war planes.

I am guessing from some other posts of yours that the early war planes like the moranes and early pfalz planes might be forth coming?

One of the things I am trying to get better control of is I want more of a battle on the ground at the front/no mans land area. I cant seem to get a large concentration of troops and tanks at the front lines for huge ground wars. I am hopeful you have figured out a few things I haven't been able to make work so I can borrow a few ideas from you if ya dont mind.

Anyways keep up the amazing worka nd I look forward to your campaigns and FM release. :biggrin:

Good mate.

Yeah, haven't been really specific, have I?

Done FMs for most, but the exceptions are:

Avro 504c (did Avro 504d)

PfalzEv (maybe later, all other early single seater Pfalz's done)

MoraneLO, nor Pfalz E3 2-seaters (did MSTypeLAO)

Fokker E2 and E2a (all E1s, E3s, E4s done)

Farmans (later, keen on doing these)

Borts Alb D2s and D1 (later too, but theres a AlbD2 based on TKs Alb D3 model at this stage)

Pfalz Dr1

Be-2a (Be-2c, Be-2d done)

No multi engine bombers, but most work well enough as AI

I think everything else is done. Newer ones are Bristol Mc1, Martinsyde S1, also p10ppy's Spad 12 is included (his FM, just ai changes).

Extras are Nieuport17bis, Nieuport23, AlbatrosD2, AlbatrosD3_160, AlbatrosD3OEF_200, Fe2c. These are exact names if your preparing things.

Hope that helps.

New to campaign, so no don't know about the ground war thing. I'd agree that this would be a huge improvement.

EDIT: Got the Morane/Pfalz early 2-seaters mixed up, reads correctly now.

Edited by peter01

I had considered No Mans Land before but its so topographically featureless its difficult to get anything to look right. If it were more "3 dimensional", if you know what I mean, adding objects would work a lot better. :dntknw: