Having a small problem creating a UVW map for a drop tank in 3dSMax. Followed Mustang tutorial verbatim, created UV map modifier for each side, view align for each side, type in identical values, export as 3DS.

Net result opening up in Lithunwrap is that right side image is about 95% of left image...?? Can't get them identical for anyhing. (Makes aligning panel lines tougher). Any ideas what I'm doing wrong???

Thanks,

Mike D.

Mike - what version of Max are you using? I've found that in the newer versions using the UVW Unwrap modifier is much simpler to use than Lithunwrap.

I have version 8. I have not figured out how to use this feature, I have only been doing what I was shown. Lots to learn with all this... I ended up figuring out the exact difference in size then applying it when specifying the UV map for the opposite side, and it worked, but I'm obviously doing something backwards.

Mike

Your modifier stack should look like this:

-UVWUnwrap |

--UVWmap |> left side mapping

---MeshSelect |

-UVWUnwrap |

--UVWmap |> rght side mapping

---MeshSelect |

----EditableMesh - original mesh

With uvwmap you select the shape and size of the map you want to apply and with unwrap you adjust the position of it to your needs.

From what I can understand you probably scaled down the left map in the unwrap, try to reset the map and reposition it.

Thanks for the hints. I could not resolve the problem, so I measured the difference in the two bitmap sizes, and made the right side map that exact percentage difference smaller - resulting in larger bitmap image. Roundabout way, but it worked. I wonder if I was not making the UV Map large enough to start with?? Tough to be a beginner and not know what the heck you're doing wrong...!!

Mike

Tough to be a beginner and not know what the heck you're doing wrong...!!

Been there, done that. All I know to tell you is that the way Mustang's tutorials tell you to map a model is way more labor intensive than it needs to be in later versions of Max. It seems that there are many different ways to get a model mapped. I'm by no means an expert, but I went from being almost completely unable to map anything to being slow but unafriad of mapping my models thanks to reading and watching many tutorials and finding the way that worked best for me.

I'm always around if you need a hand.

TD