Sign in to follow this  
Yorkiesand23

MOD File compatability

Hi

I've got a copy of WOE and are looking into the MODS side of things.

There are MODS for SFG campaigns etc if I bought SFG copied the terrain files and planes to WOE would I be able to get campaigns set up for SFG to work in WOE?

If I bought WOI would campaigns and planes from WOE work in WOI, with some manipulation terrain, planes copied etc.

Or is it best to Keep SFG campaigns to SFG, WOE to WOE etc as stated by the author.

Its just I've been looking through the forums and it seems to be quite open what exactly will work with what.

I know you can do a WOV and WOE merged install, so will user made campaigns made for WOE and WOV work in the merge install, unless a campaign says it needs a fresh install.

So at the moment I need to buy SFG, WOV and WOI or is that excessive!!

Many thanks in advance

Edited by Yorkiesand23

There are MODS for SFG campaigns etc if I bought SFG copied the terrain files and planes to WOE would I be able to get campaigns set up for SFG to work in WOE?

Yes, you should.

If I bought WOI would campaigns and planes from WOE work in WOI, with some manipulation terrain, planes copied etc.

Same answer as above

Or is it best to Keep SFG campaigns to SFG, WOE to WOE etc as stated by the author.

So at the moment I need to buy SFG, WOV and WOI or is that excessive!!

If an author tells you that his campaign has been tested in one or the other iteration of this sim, you should stick to that version to download the campaign, that's because the author uses that specific terrain or aircraft that are only availalbe in that version. For a comparison of all versions check this link.

With WOE you can already fly interesting campaigns (I can recommend NATO Fighters and Operation Tainted Cigar - both are easy to install). If you are interested in Vietnam you will have to buy a copy of WOV, the same counts for Israel related campaigns.

However be aware that some authors use third party terrains (ie The Dragon) which in theory should work with each version of the sim.

York:

I use WOE for all of my campaigns mods.

Using some of the terrains requires the Desert.cat file which you can only get from SFP1.

The modders have made some of their terrains to be compatable with all versions.

You have to check the readme's with each terrain mod.

Go to the Knowledge base and do some heavy reading and understanding before trying to do mods.

As for what games,pick what era of aircraft you want to fly and get it for starters.

The basic games are very cool until you get the hang of it.

Many thanks to you both for your replies.

I will do as you suggest.

You will not regret the money spent for all of the versions of the Wo* series.